The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Anyone still know where to get Sealed Power engine parts?  (Read 352 times)

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
In my other recent thread, I took my engine apart and have found issues that have cascaded into me probably rebuilding the thing. I didn't want to do this but the valves are original and worn out, guides super worn out,  all piston rings broken, and it likely needs a sleeve, so that means new pistons.
I have been trying to gather some parts, and I'd prefer to go Sealed Power.
I just went through this for the bearings. I only found a few sellers left with stock of respected classic brands for bearings  but they were typically (in my opinion) at outrageous prices. So I ended up buying Crown and OMIX mains and rods bearings.

For the rest of the parts, I just embarked on a search for more name brands, like Sealed Power (Hastings I guess) for pistons, valves, guides, springs etc.
Well, I cannot find anything in stock anywhere. Not at Napa, RockAuto, Summit, or local parts store.
Walcks and the other Jeep suppliers seem to sell the Crown and OMIX ADA stuff.

Do you guys just go with Crown and OMIX ADA valves, guides, and springs?

I could be a bit irrational here, but I'd just like to get a warm fuzzy feeling that others have used these CROWN or OMIX parts successfully.

I will be visiting METALSHAPER Brian Hainer this coming Tuesday to see about machining, so I'll ask him too but in general I wonder if Sealed Power is done making Jeep engine parts.
DAve
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline stony

Re: Anyone still know where to get Sealed Power engine parts?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 12:29:58 AM »
Dave:  eBay, search sealed power pistons Willys and sealed power bearings Willys.
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time.

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 10:11:19 AM »
THanks Stony, I have searched pretty extensively and while I agree there are plenty of pistons out there, Keith Blacks, Sealed Power, of all sizes, I've had no luck for Sealed Power valves and guides, I can't find regular stock anywhere. There are a few shelf worn NOS offerings, but I am a cheap yankee, I'm not going to pay the "NOS" premium. I searched ebay as well for these items and there, you can find listings, but if you click on it and select your quantity, a message pops up that there is currently no stock. Or, even worse, I place an order and several days later I get an email that the order is cancelled: Not currently available. This has been my experience with several e-tailers. Summit does the same thing: they show an ebay listing, and you can click on it to order, but when you check directly with Summit, they are out of stock, currently not available. It's a problem with modern day "e-tailing" where listings stay up but they can't fulfill orders.

I'm wondering if it's just a COVID thing with delayed shipping for all auto parts.

I think I'll give the Crown parts a whirl. I'm sure they don't make them themselves, I suspect they have them made by SB International. Not sure. But that seems to be a big brand.

It so happens I've decided to hold off buying parts until I get the word from Brian H. ("metalshaper") that my engine block is good for a rebuild.

So I"ll keep searching!
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 04:21:40 PM »
I never did find anyone who stocks Sealed Power. In fact, I get the feeling that Sealed Power has discontinued their Willys parts, and the parts out there are basically drying up.
I tried many places to order Crown parts. Most places do not stock and drop ship instead. Summit, Quadratec, 4WD, all had "flags" that stated there would be delayed shipping...(mid to late July) for each part number I was looking at. I was worried their estimated delays would be optimistic, and I'd be hanging.
So, in the end, I took advantage of Walcks 10 percent July 4th sale and ordered Crown parts from them. They have all parts in stock.

I will switch over to my "Nuthin' Fancy" thread in the "Stock CJ3A project" section and post about my engine rebuild. MetalShaper (Brian Hainer) has my engine now. He's confident it's fixable. See you on my other thread...
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline ring eye 01

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
Check with Walcks

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 12:16:35 PM »
I did purchase from Walcks.
The parts came from them with no wrappers. I'm assuming they're Crown stuff.
Valves look nice, although they all measure right up against the small side of spec (or even a bit undersize) on stem diameter.
Valve guides are nice on O.D., but I.D.'s are rough. I suppose that's okay since the roughness will hold oil. But anyway, the guides needed a little bit of reaming after installation (as evidenced by tight valve fit). I ran a 0.374 reamer through them and the valves fit nice. I may touch up again with a 0.375....
I have no way of inspecting metallurgy of these Crown parts; I can only hope they hold up fine.

I will be interested to see if Sealed Power resumes supplying warehouses with Willys parts in the coming year or so, or if they just decided to stop making them for good.
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 12:20:23 PM »
Flogging a dead horse here...but here it goes:
I installed the Crown (or whatever they were) valve guides and in general I suspect they're not great quality. I'm having a hard time with valves moving around even with a minimum 0.374" reaming. My valves are new, uniform, perfect surface finish). Looking at the ID of the guides reveals some large regions of rough finish (not touched by the manufacturers drilling or reaming), and even after my finish reaming there are large zones, or pockets of roughness. I think these were cast with the ID too big and the boring and reaming by the factory only skimmed some parts of the I.D.
So.
I mounted another search for Sealed Power guides and after some phone calls got 2 exhausts and 4 intake from NAPA. The NAPA man had to search the eastern seaboard and that's all he could find.
I then found 4 exhausts (last ones) from Autoplicity.com. Website says they were in stock, but the last ones, and I purchased them too.

I checked Rockauto and they now don't list Sealed Power guides anymore (they were listed, but as "out of stock" a few weeks ago), so I think that may be it. I will update my thread in the other forum section when I install Sealed Power guides and see if things are better.
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 12:56:28 PM »
Hope this pays off!
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C