The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Swapping rear leaf springs over?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline oyeates

• Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Swapping rear leaf springs over?
« on: April 18, 2020, 01:48:46 PM »
Hey Community, Hope everyone is safe and well.

So i rebuilt a 61' CJ3B 1.5years ago and refurbed the original leaf springs which were in good shape. Having driven the jeep for some time i've noticed when looking at it from behind that the left hand side (drivers side) is dropped slightly. Having now measured from the ground to the centre wheels arch on both sides of the rear of the vehicle I've found that theres a 2" difference (lower on the drivers side) between each side.
The front of the jeep is fine.
So, my thinking is that perhaps its my extra weight in the drivers seat (200lbs) over the course of a year and a half  (plus all previous drivers etc since 1961) that has caused the rear drivers side spring to 'soften' over time (?)

Now, rather than spend $230 on a new set of rear springs I wondered if I couldn't even the situation out by swapping the rear springs over? Having looked into it a bit more i'm not sure its possible due to the threaded  U-bolts/shackles and the left-hand turn / right hand turn threads differences on each side.

Has anyone ever swapped springs around like this? Can it be done? or are both springs only capable of being used in either drivers side or passenger side positions?

Looking forward to hearing any advice on this.

Many thanks

Oli     

Offline Bruce_W

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Swapping rear leaf springs over?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 02:26:35 PM »
  I think that 3B’s, especially one as late as yours, would have all right-hand threaded shackles.
BW

Edit to add:   :-[ You had it apart a year and a half ago, I guess you would know, one way or the other.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 02:29:12 PM by Bruce_W »
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline tow hook

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 02:35:24 PM »
  I think that 3B’s, especially one as late as yours, would have all right-hand threaded shackles.
BW

Edit to add:   :-[ You had it apart a year and a half ago, I guess you would know, one way or the other.  ;)

that may be, i just bought a set, and they are listed driver and pass with two part numbers. the shackles would be a cheaper fix,but  you may need springs in the long run ?

Offline tow hook

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 02:38:17 PM »
BW

that may be, i just bought a set, and they are listed driver and pass with two part numbers. the shackles would be a cheaper fix,but  you may need springs in the long run ?

yes, the listed shackle for pass side is rev thread, driver side is normal

Offline duffer

• Willys Fan
  • Just old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 09:53:49 PM »
The dreaded Jeep lean.  Part of that is due to the offset engine placement in addition to much more occupancy of the driver's seat versus the passenger seat.  Yes, the the threaded shackles are different right to left but don't those ride in the threaded bushings inside the spring eyes?  I do think you can swap the springs and it does make a difference----for a while.  I did that on my 55 3B but I had already converted it to the silent (rubber/steel) bushings by that time.
48 2A, 49 3A, 51 Wagon, 55 3B, 57 FC 150, 57 Wagon, 60 FC 170, 68 CJ 5, 2012 JKUR

John, Bozeman, MT