The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Horn Rebuild?  (Read 141 times)

Offline Vincent

Horn Rebuild?
« on: March 16, 2020, 09:52:50 PM »
I bench tested the horn and it didn't work. So, I took it apart and found the piece between the metal points is broken. I Searched the net for a couple of hours and could not find any parts for these.  Does anyone know if these horns have new guts available anywhere?
Vincent S.
vschleg@yahoo.com

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Horn Rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
Vincent,
My horn was in pretty good shape when I finally coaxed it open.  The insides of mine look different (not much of a surprise) from yours.  Do you know the make of yours?

There was a great rebuild thread embedded in a DJ rebuild on the old CJ3B Forum taken over by Tapatalk.  Sadly, I haven't been able to get on it for several days (I hope that's temporary vs. permanent).

I have in the past found information regarding vintage horns (usually referencing Chevy's, Fords, etc) but still helpful.  I have also resorted to contracting a fabrication shop to make things when our jeep vendors don't have something (or have it but not correct) and I'm unable to locate it anywhere else. 

If no one here has guidance, perhaps you maybe could look at finding another horn for donor parts or fabrication.

Added:  The old forum on Tapatalk is again visible!  Here is the link to Charles' horn rebuild:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cj3b_bulletin_board/viewtopic.php?p=31965#p31965

Thanks, again to Photobucket for making image posting impossible.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:45:43 AM by Rus Curtis »
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline binthere

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »
If you click on the 3B jeep on the top right corner, it takes you back to the original information pages.
I took my own advice and clicked over there. Wow, sure is a bunch of new info!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:54:27 PM by binthere »

Offline stony

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 09:03:56 PM »
What I would do (mostly because I am stubborn) is take that switch apart, then take a set of ignition points,  cut them up, file them down, then clean the surfaces really well and solder (or maybe even weld) them to the old parts.  Might work, might not, just an idea🤔.  Good luck!
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time”.