The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Converting to single filament signal/parking light with Signalstat 800  (Read 429 times)

Offline stony

As youall know by now I never do anything the easy way.  I needed some turn signals for my 3A, rears, no problem, I needed new taillights anyway, converting the front parking lights was another thing.  I wanted to keep the original sockets, and single filament bulbs.  Luckily my Jeep came with a Signal-stat 800 Sigflare switch.  A little research turned up a wiring diagram that showed that it was designed to convert a single filament parking light to signal light.  It was in poor shape, had to polish up all of the contacts and replace the indicator bulb socket and lens.  Then it was just a matter of choosing bulbs and a flasher.  Rear was easy, 6V dual filament incandescent were just fine.  For the fronts I took the idea from squidtone and grafted some Blazer 534AK6 LEDs onto a couple of #51 bases (you dont need to do that as they are available on the internet).  For a flasher I went with a ELF33-6 LED unit.  Worked perfectly.  Now I not only have front signal/parking lights I have 4 way flashers too!  The Signalstat 800s are usually available on eBay.  Fun project!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:39:42 AM by stony »
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time.

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
NICE home made LED lamps!
I like the look of the 800 series signal stat too!
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline Mark W.

I also use a Stat 800 but with dual element bulbs I have a AC Delco headlight switch that can either shut the park lights off when the headlights come on or have them stay on. I see no time my park lights would need to be on at the same time as I use the turn signals. So I can have both park and turn using separate circuits allowing me to use my dual element bulbs
Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5� �Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pi

Offline stony

Yeah, I have the stock switch, so the parking lights go off when the headlights come on.  All that 8th wire on the 800 does is let the parking lights work individually.  I was really surprised to find that it gave me 4 way flashers.  Pretty cool for 50s technology.
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time.