The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: F-Head Clifford Headers potential  (Read 195 times)

Offline SteveKfl

F-Head Clifford Headers potential
« on: January 22, 2020, 08:38:54 PM »
If any of you guys/gals with a F-Head engine are interested in changing to Clifford header exhaust, check out eWillys.com link with some "potential" based on amounts of interests and costs finalized.  They are saying they may even fit a L-Head???  If anybody put headers on their F-head already and have any real life experience of "impacts/results" from your experience, I think that would be interesting to hear about.

http://www.ewillys.com/2020/01/21/f-head-headers/#comments
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Mark W.

Re: F-Head Clifford Headers potential
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 03:00:43 PM »
The Clifford Header has been around for decades which is good since that is how long it usually takes for them to deliver anything. That said. The 4 into 1 design of the Clifford Header is designed to be most advantageous at high rpm so in a 134L or F powered rig your looking at just about redline (4000rpm) before you get what the Header has to offer. It will reduce exhaust back pressure and will increase HP if combined with a free flow exhaust system (like a 2"-2.25" tubing and Turbo style muffler)

If your after real performance improvement then you need to look to a TRI Y designed header in our case this would mean Primary tubes from Cyl 1 and 4 would join together in a Y about 36" from the Block then cyl. 2 and 3 would do the same. Your looking at a 1.5" OD tubing with a 1.375 ID for the Primarys. Then the two Y's would transition to a Pair of 1.75" OD Secondary tubes About 18" long where they then transition via a 3rd Y to a 2.25" Tail pipe and a straight through muffler.

The TRI Y design header improves bottom end to mid range Torque and HP its not as advantageous at higher RPMs as a 4 into 1 but then our engines never get there so that is a moot point.

To the best of my knowledge and after searching the internet for a couple of years I am the only one to produce a true TRI Y header. I did this for my current build. I discussed this header with real race car and custom header builders for some time before I started.

The best photos I have of it are here:

The header will eventually be ceramic coated. And before you or anyone else asks there is no program for bending the tubes this was made by cutting premade curves and MIG welding them together then grinding the weld smooth. I will not be making any to sell. At some point I will be offering Flanges for other people to do what they want with but not until my projects are done. I do not know what performance improvement this will produce other then theoretical since the engine hasn't even been started yet. And even then I have no beach mark to judge the header as the engine has MANY performance improvements.

I know a couple of the guy who were patient enough to get a Clifford Header and install it on their 134 both were quite happy. I had a 6 into 1 design Clifford on a 200L6 in a 67 Mustang and it added to the overall performance package nicely.

Again I am not going to be making any headers to sell this one about killed me with the amount of time and work involved. But I thought I should give you my thoughts on your idea.

Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5� �Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pi

Offline SteveKfl

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 04:42:09 PM »
WOW!  What a class A chassis build, and your Tri-Y system vs "4 tube to 1" is exactly along with my line of thinking with my comments on the eWIllys story.  Your longer tubes overall and the side by side firing order are even better for torque.  I have Tri-Y headers on my 350 Chevy Tow vehicle for the same reason.  That's quite a carb enhancement as well.  It is too bad you don't have the benchmark numbers of stock, but maybe someone else does.  I would love to hear the exhaust note your system makes.

I have a L-Head which I created a baffle (pic attached) for in the exhaust manifold to "direct the flow" down and into the exhaust tube rather than what I thought was exhaust energy/inefficiency bouncing around aimlessly up down and sideways and back again using up energy and losing velocity in the process.  I live in south Florida so I don't need the deicing heat on the intake like most might.  My thinking was to exit the gasses with velocity straight out creating a vacuum/low pressure behind it for the next cylinder to get assisted out.  I then used a 1-1/2" Jeepster exhaust manifold pipe  vs the 1-5/8" and wrapped the whole pipe/muffler to keep the heat and velocity with it inside longer until it reaches a 1-5/8" inlet of a baffled low restriction 5" diameter tractor muffler.  The inside diameter should add expansion of the exhaust molecules creating more of a vacuum there, then exit thru the  modified for transition from 1-58" outlet to a 2-18" tail pipe with radiused turns, not kinks and out the back.  The whole system is wrapped to the tip to keep the heat inside to aid velocity.  Unfortunately, the engine and exhaust are ready, but not run yet, waiting on the body work to get finished some day.  Thanks for your response and pics.   
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Mark W.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 05:38:35 PM »
I have a warm air intake set up for my carb does the same thing as the Heat riser but faster. Picks up heat from the #2 and #3 primary tubes

And a fresh air intake that gets its pressurized air from in front of the radiator just under the hood.

Both controllable from the dash

Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5� �Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pi

Offline JeffH

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Ol skool jeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 05:49:07 PM »
Sweet build Mark!  Looks great, it will be cool to see the finished product
'53 CJ3B, 11" brakes, Lockrights, Belleview winch soon to be added, original Jackman rims!