The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Windshield Pivot Bracket Mounting Bolts  (Read 80 times)

Offline Chuck Watford

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Windshield Pivot Bracket Mounting Bolts
« on: November 26, 2019, 06:30:35 PM »
As I continue to clean and paint parts while I am waiting for my tub to return from the body shop for my 1964 CJ3B, I have run into an issue. The two bolts that hold each windshield pivot bracket to the body tub; I remember that the bolts went into the bracket from the outside, and the nuts and lock washers were on the inside. In fact, that's the way I put them back together before I put the brackets into a Ziploc bag for storage. Some photos that I took also appear to show the bolt heads on the outside.

I noticed that my 1952 M38 has the nuts and washers on the OUTSIDE of the pivot bracket, with the bolts going through from the inside of the tub.

None of my manuals, including the Jeep Universal Parts List, have an illustration of the bracket and the mounting bolts. To me, it would actually make more sense for the bolts to go from the inside out, as the inner bracket mounting holes are threaded and only the very outer bracket has slots for adjustment.

Does anybody have an illustration showing the correct way to install the pivot bracket mounting bolts? Which way is correct? Thanks!

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Windshield Pivot Bracket Mounting Bolts
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 09:41:31 PM »
Chuck,
I had to prep some large files to a smaller size to add to your post.  I feel you have the correct orientation (good thinking to reassemble and store in a bag).  I have no explanation on the military vehicle.

Lawrence Wade's original '55 is what I used a lot for documentation and his w/s bracket has the same bolt orientation (inserted from the outside) that you describe:

From the CJ3B Page

More that I had, in picture storage to help me, are the attachments below:  Same bracket from another angle and under the dash from the inside.

The one exception I can think of where the orientation of the bolt inserted from the inside and the nut/lockwasher on the outside are the tailgate hinges.

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Chuck Watford

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield Pivot Bracket Mounting Bolts
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 11:26:56 PM »
Thanks, Rus, again you have come to the rescue! Every CJ3B photo that I have looked at, in my own collection and on the CJ3B page, appear to have the bolt heads on the outside, so that's the way they will go back. I'm using all stainless steel hardware and I also found stainless steel pivot bolts! The brackets will be powder coated in gloss black.

Interestingly , I looked at two more M38 jeeps and they are just like mine, nuts on the outside!