The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Trying to I.D. my Rear axle  (Read 104 times)

Offline patrickt

Trying to I.D. my Rear axle
« on: November 21, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »
Hello All !
                   This is for my 1950's Mit-Willys, which (for those not familiar with it) is essentially the first country (Japan) after WW2 that Willys gave a license to produce it's tall hood jeep. So not surprisingly, there are a mix of Willys parts here.
                    Ok, I checked online to try to identify my Rear axle, and ended up somewhat confused. Firstly, I read a bit about differences between Full-floating & Semi-floating axles. I quote: "A full -floating axle carries the vehicle's weight on the axle casing, not the halfshafts". Which is good for me as I did break an axle once and easily replaced it. So do I in fact have a Full-floating Rear axle ? Oh, I have 10 splines on my right side (shorter axle shaft). I'm not sure if I even have an inner wheel bearing by the way? so can anyone tell from the pic with the drum brake off ? Now my brakes seem to look like the brakes of a CJ2A/CJ3A, and i read that earlier CJ2A's had a Dana 41 Full-floating Rear axle and later ones with a Semi-floating  Rear axle.
                      Pictures online are sometimes somewhat confusing for me. So finally, do I have a Dana 41 axle ? If not, what could it be ? All replies are of course appreciated, thank you ! Patrick

Offline patrickt

Re: Trying to I.D. my Rear axle
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 10:39:05 AM »
  In as much as the last pic I posted shows the exploded view of a Full-floating Rear axle, it does show 2 wheel bearings/wheel, and I'm not sure if I in fact have an inner wheel bearing ?? Other than that it seems to pretty much  look like mine (I'm referring to the outward projecting hub and how the drum brake cover-hub is tightened up against the wheel bearing via 2 axle nuts with a hard washer against the bearing, and a bendable washer to lock the outer axle nut).

Offline oldtime

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »
That's a Spicer model 23-2 rear axle assembly.
Same as a pre 1946 CJ-2A.
Full floating axle shaft runs inside the spindle.
2 wheel bearings per hub.

Offline patrickt

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 07:32:59 PM »
Oldtime -  Great! Thanks again. I read about different axle nuts torque values, so what torque range do you recommend ?

Offline oldtime

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 07:49:33 PM »
You mean the spindle bearings ?
After proper assembly you tighten the inner spindle nut with fingers until you notice all play is gone and note a very slight drag.
Wheel will have no wobble when play is gone.
Loose the inner nut about 1/8 turn, then install the outer nut.
Tighten that nut down till its good and snug.
After all ias tightened you do not want any drag or resistance put on to the wheel bearings and hub/drum/ wheel wobble is all but gone.
Do not over tighten the wheel bearings or they will overheat and wear out premature.
Yet keep drum wobble to a minimum so the brake shoes can operate smoothly.

Offline patrickt

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 08:34:49 PM »
Yes the spindle bearings. Wow, you ran through the whole procedure, thanks for the effort! I will make sure not to overtighten it. Talk to you again. Patrick

Offline patrickt

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 10:25:31 PM »
OLDTIME -
                  Hi ! For my SPICER 23-2 rear axle Outer nut, when you say to tighten it till it's "good and snug", is that like 60 or 70 ft/lbs (thereabouts) ?

Offline oldtime

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 10:39:50 AM »
Not that critical so on something like this I just go by feel.
 60-70 foot pounds sounds like its plenty tight.

Offline patrickt

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »
Great, thanks again !