The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Pre oiling engine  (Read 177 times)

Offline aboyandhisdog

Pre oiling engine
« on: November 09, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
How do you guys pre oil your engines before start up of a newly rebuilt engine?  I don't have a pre-oiler...is it necessary?  Thank you.

Offline 64CJ5

Re: Pre oiling engine
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 09:10:19 PM »
The rebuild shop loaned me a tank that I put oil in and pressured it with air.  Then I hooked it into the oil pressure gauge port and opened the valve to force the oil into the engine.  When I started the engine the oil pressure came right up.  The F head is still running like a top.

Tom 
The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 10:01:21 PM »
I used the same port but used a large syringe.

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 10:05:16 PM »
I have a fluid transfer pump and wondered if that would move the oil into all the right places.  It doesn't generate much pressure but it will move oil from a jug in or out of an engine or transmission.  Think it is worth a shot?
Tom

Offline tow hook

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 02:45:36 PM »
did any of you pack the oil pump with vasiline ? i'm in the middle of doing mine now. going to take the pump cover off and fill it, tryed hand cranking, and hit the starter. but no pressure :(

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 02:52:34 PM »
did any of you pack the oil pump with vasiline ? i'm in the middle of doing mine now. going to take the pump cover off and fill it, tryed hand cranking, and hit the starter. but no pressure :(

Man, I never heard of anything like that.  What would be the point...wouldn't the vaseline inhibit the flow of oil quickly which is what we want? 
Tom

Offline 64CJ5

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 05:38:51 PM »
Tom,  After an oil change in the '47 2A that I had in high school the pump would not suck oil from the pan so no oil pressure.  The Jeep did not have an oil filter.  I would pack the pump with grease and get oil pressure quickly.   I know now that grease was not the best thing to use.  Vaseline or something like it would also get the oil flowing quickly and brake down with the engine heat or at least flow better than grease.

I never pulled the pan on that Jeep but can imagine there would be a layer of grease on the bottom.

Tom 
The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 07:20:33 PM »
Thanks, Tom.  I hadn't planned on learning anything today...you kind of threw a wrench into my plans!
Tom

Offline mbullism

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Analog spoken here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 09:07:56 AM »
Man, I never heard of anything like that.  What would be the point...wouldn't the Vaseline inhibit the flow of oil quickly which is what we want?
without something more viscous than air in the pump, the gears just spin...the pump is not self priming.  The Vaseline is thick enough to allow the pump to "suck", provides a minimum of lubrication, and melts at very low temps so it does it's job, melts, and gets out of the way.  Think of it as assembly lube.  Grease is not recommended since at start up temps it can block small passage ways and take time to clear waiting for operating temps (and even then maybe not).

I've used the Vaseline  and the syringe methods both with success, fwiw.

Offline tow hook

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
Man, I never heard of anything like that.  What would be the point...wouldn't the Vaseline inhibit the flow of oil quickly which is what we want?
without something more viscous than air in the pump, the gears just spin...the pump is not self priming.  The Vaseline is thick enough to allow the pump to "suck", provides a minimum of lubrication, and melts at very low temps so it does it's job, melts, and gets out of the way.  Think of it as assembly lube.  Grease is not recommended since at start up temps it can block small passage ways and take time to clear waiting for operating temps (and even then maybe not).

I've used the Vaseline  and the syringe methods both with success, fwiw.

i installed a new oil gauge on the engine this week.  i hit to the key to the starter quick and had 0 psi. fuel pump should be here today. i'll have to open up the pump and fill it, and try again. got syringes at tsc pretty cheap, the parts stores wanted 30-45 $ there not the same but for a one time use it will work.