The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Poll

In our continuing attempt to streamline the new forum, we can…

Combine all the individual FAQ categories (ie; Body Trim, Chassis Brakes, Electrical Systems, Engine Compartments, etc ) in to the “Stock” General Technical and “Modifications” Technical categories.
5 (62.5%)
Move all topics currently in the “Stock” General Technical and “Modifications” Technical categories into the appropriate individual FAQ categories, (Body Trim, Chassis Brakes, etc.)  then eliminate the Stock Tech and Modifications Tech categories.
1 (12.5%)
Leave it alone.  I like the way it is now.
0 (0%)
Increase the categories to include a separated group (Body Trim, Chassis Brakes, etc,) for both "Standard Stock Tech" and "Modification Tech"/
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: September 13, 2019, 11:41:16 AM

Author Topic: Poll !!! Streamline...Adjust...or leave it be.  (Read 203 times)

Offline Bruce_W

Re: Poll !!! Streamline...Adjust...or leave it be.
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 08:58:18 PM »
Tim,
   I have not voted, because I'm not sure I understand the different options. I guess I'm still more beaver trapper than computer geek. I think it's fine the way it is. Let's go with it as it is, and make changes as they become necessary.  BW
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »
The poll has ended.  Thank you to those of you that voted.  The majority want the individual boards  Body and Trim, Chassis Brakes, Electrical, Engine Compartment, Gear Boxes/ Axles, and General Tips to be eliminated.  The contents of these boards will be distributed to other appropriate remaining boards. 

I have started this process already, but there is a lot to move.  I will continue to work on it until all topics have been moved.  If you have any questions, please ask.

Thank you again for your participation.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Dinesh

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 10:44:31 PM »
Old times suggestion sounds perfect else we make a big Mrs and effort searching for each type of vehicle.
Separate that's would help in better classification and avoids a chaos situation.
We can certainly label the categories to better represent.  Standard and Original may be a better word choices than "Stock".  Initially, I was just trying to distinctly clarify the differences between the two categories.
Not trying to be a stickler, just thinking we may avoid future problems by eliminating slang and uncertain terms.

At "what point" is it NOT STOCK and/or NOT STANDARD and/or NOT ORIGINAL to determine 'where the post belongs'?
Jeep provided a publication each year titled  "SERVICE STANDARDS".
It provides details for both Standard and Optional component assembles used on each Jeep model.
Example: 1950 CJ-3A has a Dana 41 rear axle assembly while the 1951 CJ-3A uses a D44 axle assembly.

Then there's...  is it a STANDARD/STOCK/ORIGINAL...
The term STOCK merely implies a part or component that is stockpiled.
Such as NEW OLD STOCK (NOS) items and OEM STOCK.

There are 4 classes of Jeeps.
1) STANDARD /OPTIONAL JEEPS (Assembled from standard and may include factory optional stock)
2) TRANS- VINTAGE JEEPS (Example: A 1950 CJ3A having a Dana 44 rear axle assembly)
3) TRANS-MODEL JEEPS (Example: A 1950 CJ-3A having a Hurricane engine)
4) TRANS-MAKE JEEPS (Example: A 1950 CJ-3A having Ford Pinto engine which means it contains non Jeep parts)

Whatever we finally decide on, the problem will still be for the poster to determine where to place his post.On the 3B forum we tried to use the Willys Index and that pretty much failed.

Exactly ! As I see it we basically have 2 choices for searching old threads
1) Complete control of the categories by mandating Willys Group Index (WGI) or..
2) Clarify/Simplify the categories and let the search engine sort it out.

Problems with WGI...
None of the existing posts were ever categorized by the WGI
Likely that an admin must make sure topics are in correct category.
Worse yet .. Often times topic starts off with an exhaust leak and ends up with bad connect rod bearings.

At this point I really believe we should keep the forum much as it is with a few simple changes.

Category 1 IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Board 1 Announcements and and Board 2 Website feedback can possibly be merged into a single board ???
I see little difference between those 2 boards.

Category 2 HOW TO JOIN 

No changes.

Category 3 3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base

Divide this category into 3 boards, one board for each model.
CJ-3A STANDARD /OPTIONAL
CJ-3B STANDARD /OPTIONAL
DJ-3A STANDARD /OPTIONAL

Possibly add another Board to cover modifications to all models
All MODIFICATIONS

or create a child board for each model
CJ-3A MODIFICATIONS from standard
CJ-3B MODIFICATIONS from standard
DJ-3A MODIFICATIONS from standard

Category 4 TECH FAQ SECTIONS

Eliminate this category and fit into to the Technical Knowledge Base

Category 5 Your Projects

Eliminate the board for Non Jeep Projects

Catergory 6 Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc.

???

Category 7 Classifieds Ads

Change Board from "For Sale, Wanted"... to "JEEP Related BUY/SELL/ TRADE"

Category 8 Clubs and Events

Change to..

UPCOMING EVENTS
PAST EVENTS
International Flat Fender Club (IFFC)
with child board for Other Jeep Clubs

KEN