The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Gunslingers Tranny problem from the FCT.  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Gunslinger

Gunslingers Tranny problem from the FCT.
« on: October 01, 2018, 07:20:57 PM »
Hey guys,
In that there were several 2A guys that were present when Triple X developed its noisy tranny  at the FCT, I'm putting the discussion on the 2A page.  Please join the discussion, I know I need help.
Todd ;)
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline aboyandhisdog

Re: Gunslingers Tranny problem from the FCT.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 09:59:35 PM »
Todd, I couldn't find it there on the 2A - do you have a link?  Or, maybe just check in here when you have updates.  I was interested in learning what the issue was.  To me it didn't quite sound like the clunk was as far back as the tranny - my money was on flywheel bolts! 

It was great to meet you at the FCT!  Good luck with your investigation.
Tom

Offline Gunslinger

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/triple-x-tranny-noise_topic43370.htm

Here you go Tom, good to meet you as well. Sue and I had so much fun at the FCT getting to know folks we've talked to on the forums for so long.  What a deal.

I posted, well actually Muley posted my pics from the tranny.  We did find a couple things, I'm taking it to a guy who knows these transmissions real well today.  I need him to look it over and tell me whats going on.  We did find some pieces that look like roller bearings, all broken up, and we found a good deal of yellow metal chips from the blocking rings.  It looks like a re-build is in its future, just not sure how much of one.  I can tell what really bad looks like, but I can't tell the difference between "that's not so good" and " that will be ok". IYou know what I mean.  Still have some stuff to look at, going to pull the pressure plate and clutch disc to inspect them and we'll go from there.  I have some tooth damage on the ring gear on the flywheel, may pull that and replace it as well.  Looking a lot like a can of worms....

Offline Gunslinger

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
Hey guys,
No updates yet on the noise, just a question, in review I have a T90 with a Dana 18 transfer case.  In that I have the opportunity to make an upgrade here, tranny out, diagnosis, potential problem... I'm just wondering if you guys have any thoughts on upgrading to a 4 speed transmission and which one would you select?  I was thinking about adding an overdrive as long as I have this apart, but maybe a 4 speed would be a better way to go.

Thoughts, ideas, criticism welcome.
Gun

Offline 64CJ5

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 11:11:06 AM »
Check out all the info. on the Novak and/or Advance Adapters web sites.  Advance Adapters builds the overdrive.
Lots of info on there pages.  Novak was very helpful with my Pinto conversion in our M-38.   
The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »
Hey guys,
No updates yet on the noise, just a question, in review I have a T90 with a Dana 18 transfer case.� In that I have the opportunity to make an upgrade here, tranny out, diagnosis, potential problem... I'm just wondering if you guys have any thoughts on upgrading to a 4 speed transmission and which one would you select?� I was thinking about adding an overdrive as long as I have this apart, but maybe a 4 speed would be a better way to go.

Thoughts, ideas, criticism welcome.
Gun
High gear in a 4 speed is the same as high gear in a three speed. 
People think I go out of my way to * them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.

Offline Gunslinger

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 07:51:01 AM »
Hey guys,
Got the bad news Friday, still in shock.  The guy I took the tranny too does a lot of trannies and axles for Midwest Military, he said he has never seen a transmission as bad as mine.  At least I'm a winner there !..  Bottom line is $1500 for him to rebuild it, the roller bearings in the input shaft did come out and go into the intermediate shaft, apparently when it was rebuilt last time they left out one roller, that allowed enough space for accelerated wear, eventually breakage of rollers and then bingo.  I'm going to go pick it up this week and get the nasty details, not sure what I'm going to do yet.  Kaiser has a new t90 for $975.00, which looks like the easy button, but I did want to add an overdrive, so that kind of chews up the funds for that...with the parts I need to buy and the master rebuild kit I'm looking at $5-600 if I do it, but then I've never done one and confidence is low, I don't want to take it out again...

Suggestions?

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 08:07:14 AM »
The last master rebuild kit I purchased had a counter shaft that was soft. It's a bearing surface and should be hard.
People think I go out of my way to * them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 08:58:53 AM »
Rebuild it! 

We can all help with tips and tricks.  It's actually kind of fun once you're in it.  You would be surprised how rewarding it is.  There really isn't that much that you can do wrong when rebuilding these T-90s.

Have faith my friend.   :) 
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 64CJ5

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 12:29:16 AM »
Several youtube videos you can look at for rebuilding the t90.
The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

Offline Gunslinger

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 02:11:42 PM »
Hi Guys
Thought an update on the tranny problem was in order.  I chickened out on the re-build, there is a guy just down the road the builds at lest one of these every week.  Its his specialty.  so I took it out and brought it to him, diagnosis was that the roller bearing on the input shaft went out.  Most likely when it was build last time the builder left out one roller, so there must have been enough slop that after 5 years of wear a roller got sideways a bit, got chewed up and broke the rest loose.   Bottom line was a full rebuild on the tranny and X-case, I also added an overdrive while it was out. 

But thats not the end of the story, Since I've owned that truck the shift barrels have leaked when shifting, we could not find a fix for it so I bought a new one from Kaiser Willys, that fit up nicely, seems to work OK although I don't have a lot of miles on it since the install  we got another 8 inches of snow last week) so not much driving going on.  However I did not see any leaks !!! 

Thanks for all the help, See you at the FCT.
Gun.

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 10:19:52 AM »
Gun,
While I'm a little bummed that you didn't get beat up while doing your own rebuild, I do understand your reluctance.  I was hoping for some fireside war stories/chats at the next gathering! [smiley=wink.gif]
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Gunslinger

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 09:23:54 AM »
Don't worry Hawk, there will be some war stories... sometimes its prudent to hire mercenaries for a job so you can focus on the real challenge... Gun

Offline Gunslinger

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »
Well here is an update, the tranny is in, the overdrive installed, new clutch, new throw out bearing, and a new noise... read with interest Calvin and Aboyandhisdogs prolonged diagnosis on that noise.  I have to say it seems my throw out bearing or my pilot bearing may be the culprit.  Will be spending time on that soon I guess.  In the meantime I'm getting familiar with Dad's old M38A1, we just finished that as a tribute jeep to him.  Keep on jeepin!

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 08:27:58 PM »
Sorry to hear about the noise, Todd.  But good to hear the tranny is all hunky-dorey now!  How does it drive?  Are you loving that over drive?  The OD was one of the upgrades I did, that now, I don't think I could live without.  With any luck, your "noise" is just something unrelated that will be sorted out soon.  Keep us apprised...
Tom