The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Alternator mount (and starter, too)  (Read 2513 times)

Offline PaulS

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Alternator mount (and starter, too)
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:44:29 PM »
This is the mount that came with my Jeep:

As you can see, it's got a bracket to hold a spin-on oil filter.� I'm cutting that off to replace the filter with the proper one.

I think that there's clearance between the oil filter and the alternator, but I may need an elbow at the bottom of the filter.� I presume that's not a problem, is it?

But the main question...� As I said, I'm cutting the bracket off.� But do I just cut the bracket off the angle iron, leaving the full length of angle iron, or can I cut the angle iron behind the second bolt?� In other words, are the two bolts under the alternator enough, or is that third one by the starter needed?

In the parts manual it seems there's a connection from the starter to the block.� I'm guessing that's by the tab at the end of the starter.� When I got this Jeep, there was nothing there.� Does that matter?� (I see Walcks sells a mount for the earlier starters, but not the CJ3A starter.)

Thanks,

-Paul
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:44:54 PM by PaulS »

Offline bretto

Re: Alternator mount (and starter, too)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:28:02 AM »
Yours is a custom set up so there is no official answer but if it were me, I'd just leave the bracket full length.  More support that way. 

Yes, the rear of the starter should be bolted and supported to the block.  Nothing fancy there, just a piece of flat strap bent to a 90* with 2 holes will work just fine.

Offline PaulS

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:28:35 AM »
As soon as I said "alternator", you knew it was a custom setup!  :)

Was the original generator supported just from the two bolts?

There's certainly no harm in keeping the extra support from the bolt by the starter--it's not in the way of anything. (It'll be painted black like the engine before being finally mounted.)  But if it's not needed, cutting the angle iron will be a bit easier than cutting the filter bracket off.  (There's a brace on the back side that's not seen in the picture.)

There's a lot of 12V Jeeps out there, and presumably these all have custom-rigged alternator mounts.  How different is this from the typical?

-Paul

Offline PaulS

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
BTW, by getting rid of the power steering unit that was on the Jeep, and reverting to an original-type air cleaner, I'm getting rid of all the other custom brackets that were on the engine...

-Paul

Offline specialty

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 12:39:17 PM »
Power steering?

Offline PaulS

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 01:25:51 PM »
Power steering?

Yup.  I think the steering column came from a Camaro and the steering linkages came out of something like an Impala.  There was an idler arm in there that had failed and was literally held together with baling wire.

One of the first things I did when I got the Jeep was pull all the steering linkages--everything between the power steering unit's pitman arm and the the knuckles--and replace it with something that looks like a modern Jeep. (A single tie rod between the knuckles, tied back to the pitman arm with a drag link.)

But in my full rebuild, I'm reverting to a Ross steering system.  The PO still had the Ross box, but everything else is new.  But the original point is that the brackets on the engine which held the power steering pump in place are now no longer needed. Nor is one of the brackets that was holding some air intake piping.

-Paul

Offline specialty

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 06:29:18 PM »
Amazing what a little bailing wire will Do!
Other than the fact it's not original the steering you have on it is much better than the the old Ross which I am sure you know but apparently to want to put it back the way it was. Can't blame you for that though. I just did one that was a disaster and it's amazing some of the rigs that were done over the years. I suppose these were just old farm Jeeps and whatever it took to keep them going was done to get through another day. Good luck and keep us informed. If you run into any problems these guys can help.

Offline PaulS

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »
I really hated the Camaro (?) steering column that was there--it just didn't belong in a Jeep.  If I really hate Ross steering, I'll look around for a power steering column that looks like it belongs in a Jeep.  I've kept the system, so it can be reinstalled if needed.

-Paul

Offline specialty

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 08:46:38 PM »
I can see where that column would not fit so well looks wise. Don't a lot of people use the stuff out of a willys wagon on these swaps? Not sure but it seems I have seen a few.

Offline Mark W.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 05:56:09 PM »
WOW I sure wouldn't want the HP robbing power steeringm (not to mention the quick rate of a power box) in a 4 banger powered Willys.

I went with a Saginaw 525 6.25 turn manual box and the same type tie rod assembly you show.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:56:51 PM by Mark_W. »
Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5� �Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pi