The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: My 3A so far. First drive on the road  (Read 16131 times)

Offline specialty

Re: My 3A so far. What to do with sand blasted body
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2016, 08:29:40 AM »
I am also running rather tall tires (not installed on front yet) so the extra clearance is good . I have 98 Dodge Ram 150 16 inch wheels for these tires but I need to machine the centers out on the other 2 wheels yet. I put the ribber spacers under all the mounting holes. I see no reason why that would cause any problems.

Offline specialty

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2016, 02:21:20 AM »
Front tires are now on after machining out the center of the wheel hubs. These tires may be a little big but will have to do for now. They are Co-op Super Spurs and probably ride like the tracks on a Caterpillar D9!  Since I raised the body about 7/8" now i need to lengthen my front mounts where it bolts to the side of the frame and the front fender mounts where they bolt to the side of the frame. No big deal, just a little more work. All is fitted now and I hope to have the tub back off this weekend and off to get it finished prepped and painted next week or so.
Here are a few photos on what I need to do to the front body and fender mounts.

Offline Mark W.

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 01:18:48 AM »
Did you put the Por-15 on over the bare blasted metal?

Blasted and some areas that were wire brushed I used a Phosphate rust converter on the metal first. Then the POR-15
Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5� �Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pi

Offline specialty

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2016, 04:22:43 AM »
Did you put the Por-15 on over the bare blasted metal?

Blasted and some areas that were wire brushed I used a Phosphate rust converter on the metal first. Then the POR-15
The thing is with Por-15 and other undercoatings they need to have the top coat or be painted within a hours time while still tacky. If not there could be a adhesion problem from what I have read and I want to paint the whole tub the same color top and bottom for a clean factory look. Although not all of this 3A will be stock or authentic I want to improve some things yet keep it on the original theme sorta speak. Thanks

Offline specialty

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
Finally I am finished with the tub! After all the welding and sanding, etc, my buddy sprayed it last week after glazing it and about 2 coats of high build primer. Being a rookie at body work he got on me for the sand scratches and the extra prep before painting. I did have one of the best builders in the country giving me pointers along the way though. Some of you guys may have seen his work. His name is Craig Naff. He has had the cars that he built on the cover of Hot Rod and other magazines. A few of his projects were for ZZ Top. Surely some of you have seen the videos of the street rods they drove on those and Cadzilla. He has had a few named street rod of the year.  So I want to thanks him for his guidance and advice. Overall it came out great. It is  very straight overall and I am very happy with it. He still has the Fenders, hood, and grille to paint yet but should all be done in a few weeks. I will post some pics of the tub tomorrow I hope. Trying now to tie up the loose ends so I can mount the tub and start the wiring.

Offline Ryan_M

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »
Finally I am finished with the tub! After all the welding and sanding, etc, my buddy sprayed it last week after glazing it and about 2 coats of high build primer. Being a rookie at body work he got on me for the sand scratches and the extra prep before painting. I did have one of the best builders in the country giving me pointers along the way though. Some of you guys may have seen his work. His name is Craig Naff. He has had the cars that he built on the cover of Hot Rod and other magazines. A few of his projects were for ZZ Top. Surely some of you have seen the videos of the street rods they drove on those and Cadzilla. He has had a few named street rod of the year.� So I want to thanks him for his guidance and advice. Overall it came out great. It is� very straight overall and I am very happy with it. He still has the Fenders, hood, and grille to paint yet but should all be done in a few weeks. I will post some pics of the tub tomorrow I hope. Trying now to tie up the loose ends so I can mount the tub and start the wiring.

Talk about "having some help". Wow. You are privileged! As a young lad I was a "Hot Rod" mag subscriber and a huge fan of the Cadzilla. I can still envision what the cover looked like when it was featured. Must have been in the late '80's sometime. Cool stuff.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline specialty

Re: My 3A so far. Updates of tub on now and painted
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2016, 04:19:45 PM »
Ryan, you are right. The ZZ top hot rods were cool also. His work is amazing. Takes a full size picture of a 32 Ford (or whatever) hangs it on the wall, forms it out of plywood about 1" apart with the correct radius with a pile of sheet metal and forms the car. Builds the frames and all from nothing. I could only wish!
Anyway here are some updates on my tub. Still have the windshield frame, fenders and hood to paint yet. It is not the original color but it's close. I wanted something a little darker than the original. It has some spots but overall I am happy with it. On the inside I ordered U-Pull liner. It's a 2 part system and come with the applicator to spray it with. Covers a lot of the sores of the inside and I can also tint it later if I want to match the outside.

Ron.

Offline specialty

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2016, 04:21:20 PM »
It looks almost red in the pictures but is actually a dark maroon.

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2016, 08:04:51 PM »
Nice!

You will be on the road before you know it...!!
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 55 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline specialty

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2016, 03:50:38 AM »
Nice!

You will be on the road before you know it...!!
I hope sometime in June. Plan on trying to start the 12 V wiring this weekend maybe if all goes well. I think my wife is starting to miss me ! She has been understanding so far but with nice days  my luck may begin to run out.

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2016, 09:01:01 AM »
Looks beautiful!  8-)
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 09:12:27 PM »
They go back together pretty fast....too fast...but it's fun!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:13:20 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 55 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline specialty

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2016, 03:02:24 AM »
They go back together pretty fast....too fast...but it's fun!
Are you talking about the wife or the 3A?

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2016, 12:48:47 PM »
Only you can answer that... :D

Offline specialty

Re: My 3A so far. first voyage
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2016, 03:17:09 AM »
My 1st short run! This was her first drive in about 20-25 years. It did well. Have what I think is a rear main seal leaking a little but otherwise not to bad. I did forget just how bad the brakes are on old cars. Also it smells like its running rich. Think idle mixture screw will help that? The carburetor seems to be working very good though. No hesitation or stalling at all. Also put my hood on. Should get the last parts this week. Here are a few pics my wife took of it. I could tell she had her doubts but it made it back.