The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: MDJuan Tubs - the official feedback thread  (Read 56022 times)

Offline Ryan_M

Re: MDJuan Tubs - the official feedback thread
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
That appears to be a 3A style tool box lid instead of the previous, flattened, 2A style one too which is good. The rain gutter is there but the holes and angled piece for draining water out are not there yet.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:01:22 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Thorholt

« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »
Well I set the tub down on the frame today and it hit the top of the transmission before the mounts hit the frame, Just as I was starting to @#*! at it I raised it up on the hoist to look from underneath and when standing behind and looking at the transmission from the rear I could see that the clutch bellcrank shaft angled up from the frame to the transmission upon closer inspection I could see that the transmission crossmember had taken a hard hit at sometime and was bent up raising the transmission into the tub, I lowered the trans down to its proper position and all is good :)
The transfercase shift levers are spot on with the tub hole as is the transmission shifter hole, the clutch hole is good but the brake pedal hole is too high, another reported the same on his new 2A tub over on that forum also.
More to do tomorrow and I will take some pictures of it, there might be a problem with the throttle hole also, it seems to far to one side but I will need to look close at that also.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 07:47:00 PM by thorholt »

Offline GlynB

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • British Jeep fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2015, 06:53:06 AM »
Hi everyone

I'm in the middle of test fitting my new CJ3A tub from MD Juan and I'm really pleased with the results.  It has taken a bit of effort to get the wings - sorry, fenders - to line up and I have had to enlarge the holes for the pedals and transfer gearbox levers but otherwise its looking pretty good.

My question is, what is the fuel tank mounted on? In my original tub (which had been patched many times) it sat on a piece of wood broken off - literally - from a 3/4 inch plank.  I'm guessing this wasn't original spec(!) so what should it sit on? I'll post some photos later.

Thanks

Offline GlynB

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • British Jeep fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »
Here's a photo of the Jeep's new tub, plus a photo of the piece of wood on which the fuel tank was mounted in the old tub!

Offline GlynB

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • British Jeep fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2015, 10:38:52 AM »
..and the new tub.  Bright sunshine makes it difficult to take a good photo at the moment so I'll post more some other time

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »
This is a good question, Glyn.  I placed mine on a couple of long strips of rubber, the thickness of which placed the tank spout in the right spot so that I could get the rubber spacer around the spout correctly.  As I recall, small differences in thickness made quite a change as to where the spout landed.  I too would like to know what Willys had in mind for this.
Tom

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2015, 12:34:06 PM »
Hi Fellas!

Here is an information page discussing this material.  I can't tell if the original is welting or some type of felt, but it is described as "anti-squeak" material.

http://www.cj3a.info/tech/gastank.html

This stuff is available at most Willys vendors, but I did what Tom did.  I used long black rubber strips.  (commercial head seal...from the garage door industry)

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline GlynB

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • British Jeep fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2015, 05:46:09 PM »
Thanks guys

The link is really useful.  I did consider making some wooden duckboards for the footwells and I imagine I could fashion one to extend under the fuel tank - this might also provide a suitable solution.  In either case it looks like an earth strap will be needed to enable the fuel gauge to work properly.

Asking one question seems to raise another - looking at the diagram on the link page and reading aboyandhisdog's post, it seems there is a rubber seal around the neck of the fuel tank? Does this fit on the inside or outside of the tub opening? and how is it fastened in place?

Offline Ryan_M

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »
Does this fit on the inside or outside of the tub opening?

Both. It installs like a giant grommet. It's a delicate dance getting the filler neck to fit through the hole in the tub while massaging this seal into place.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2015, 08:09:14 PM »
GlynB: In either case it looks like an earth strap will be needed to enable the fuel gauge to work properly.

I've learned recently that this tank ground is achieved with the steel fuel line and a tub mounted clip just below the foot well on the underside of the tub.  Don't be shy about adding more grounds. Extra certainly can't hurt anything.

Tim 
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Mike S

Re: MDJuan Tubs feedback update methodology
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »
If MD juan would SERIALIZE the tubs and record all changes by serial number range, it would help people like me. I spent a lot of money 'fixing issues' because I was sold an older tub. If I had better information I could avoided the problems and would have saved 2X the cost of the tub I bought.

As it is, I believe that I would have been money ahead to buy all the parts from Classic Enterprises and built a tub from the components. Seriously.
Life is short
Quit your job
Turn off the TV
Go outside and play

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2016, 10:35:15 PM »
I once asked Lamonte at Classic Enterprises why they didn't just sell the whole tub.....

He said that I wouldn't like the shipping charges...

I thought that maybe it was worth a try....

But I agree, buying the parts from Classic and assembling your own tub might be the answer....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Oilleaker1

• Willys Guru
  • Automotive Archeology/ Jeep Disease, Green Diseas
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2016, 06:41:13 AM »
I feel your pain. Currently MD Juan is the only one that makes complete bodys. I aggree, fix the original if at all possible or buy another original Jeep tub/body. On the shifter not being centered, my son figured out how far it needed to be moved, and oval cut the hole out, turned it around, and welded it back in. The list is long and painful of ill, non fitting items. John

Offline Mike S

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2016, 11:27:57 PM »
I feel your pain. Currently MD Juan is the only one that makes complete bodys. I aggree, fix the original if at all possible or buy another original Jeep tub/body. On the shifter not being centered, my son figured out how far it needed to be moved, and oval cut the hole out, turned it around, and welded it back in. The list is long and painful of ill, non fitting items. John

John There is a long list of corrections that I needed to make and the tub is STILL not right. The original hood does not fit well. The fenders do not fit well. I had to take pieces off my other two parts tubs to complete the body. And I used my original windshield, hood, grille and tailgate. The only this new was the tub. I spent about $10K and the tub, fixes, body work and paint. I would probably have saved about $5K if I had started with Classic Enterprises parts.

I am finishing my CJ2A. I will begin looking for a good original tub and eventually replace the MD Juan tub.
Life is short
Quit your job
Turn off the TV
Go outside and play

Offline CJPilot

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Shade Tree Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2016, 07:19:32 PM »
I don�t know where to begin.  I used to build truck equipment bodies and though �How hard can it be to drill a few holes in a tub ? �  After a couple of years plugging away at it, I reworked my repo body kit to the point of actually painting it. I don�t think I�d buy another one.  Unless things change Classic repair panels would be the go.