The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Donaldson air filter disassembly  (Read 10910 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline specialty

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1952 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson air filter disassembly
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 05:33:20 AM »
Quote
I was just wondering if the top part of that air filter just sits on top for the body or if there is something that latches it together. Also, is there a gasket between.

Thanks,
Austin

I have seen where some use those rubber toilet rings for gaskets however I am not sure about this set-up. It would have to have a seal of some sort.

Offline Tumbleweed

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson air filter disassembly
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 04:34:39 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been way out of town - up in NH area - I'll get some pictures together showing fit and such.

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline specialty

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1952 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson air filter disassembly
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 04:55:29 AM »
To cold up there for me. Hillary only makes it worse!

Offline Tumbleweed

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson air filter disassembly
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »
More pictures of my air filter conversion. The filter itself measures 5 5/8" outer diameter. The inside measurement of my filter is approx. 5 3/4". It will slide up into the breather compartment really easy. If you want to get a tighter fit just wrap some electrical tape or duct tape around the paper filter up close to the top. I usually wrap about 6 times around to get a snug fit. The filter will only go so far in before it stops. I placed a foam piece in the bottom oil cap. The foam was about 2" thick when it was new. When you install it into the bottom oil cap it will fit very snug once you clamp the oil cap to the breather housing. On the dusty trail at FCT the air filter really caught a lot of dust. I did not see anything in the housing that would indicate dust bypassing the filter. This works for me and I hope that long term it does the job but I see no issues as long as you change filers after a dusty ride.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:51:42 PM by grfranks »
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson air filter disassembly
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 03:37:40 PM »
Very helpful George, thanks!  I'm trying this conversion right now.  Currently, the oil in the bottom of my filter gets very little dirt in it, while my engine oil seems to get black after only several hundred miles.  Hoping this will allow for a lot cleaner air to get into my engine.  Shame to have to cut this apart though - seems they could have made it to come apart for cleaning. 
Tom


Offline Tumbleweed

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson air filter disassembly
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 03:50:23 PM »
I agree, I didn't like the idea of destroying the inside of the filter either. My wagon still has the original oil filter but I bypass it with one of those fance K&N filters. I can always go back. I didn't change oild after FCT and my oil is still very clean. Of course I only have 400 miles on the odometer!

Are you using 15W-40 Rotella Diesel Oil?

I found that I get better oil pressure with this compared to 30W conventional oil.

I'm sure you can buy a filter housing from someone if you do decide to go back to an oil breather. Maybe Bruce has an old one for sale that you can convert!

Good luck.......

George

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson air filter disassembly
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 04:02:43 PM »
Quote
Are you using 15W-40 Rotella Diesel Oil?


No, as usual I'm the odd man out.  I have been a Mobil 1 guy for 40 years.  The 10W-40 High Mileage works great in this old Willys. 
Tom


Offline specialty

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1952 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson air filter disassembly
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »
Thanks Tumbleweed, That's my plan since  have sand in my original filter and most likely never get it all out. I see no reason why this would not work as good or better than the original.