The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Steering  (Read 2491 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Steering
« on: July 10, 2015, 07:47:47 AM »
I have been spending the summer enjoying the commute to work and any other excuse I can find for turning the key in my jeep. The one area I have been working on is taking the play out of the steering. The Ross Steering box is the only part of the system that I have not addressed. I did replace the adjustment screw with a "Tight Steer" and the steering is smoother but I can still feel some play especially at +40 mph, no wobble just enough play so that you know it is there. I'm wondering now, short of rebuilding the box if working the adjustment screw is just as effective as the "Tight Steer"? Any thoughts on this? 
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Steering
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »
My opinion:

Tightsteer is much better than the original adjustment screw. It maintains even pressure across the full range of motion whereas the adjustment screw is fixed in one position.

With that said, a Tightsteer will not fix a worn out steering box.

I just within the past 30 days installed a Tightseer on my 3A with a fairly new steering box rebuild. It made good steering even better. I had one on there a couple years ago but had taken it off to give to a friend who needed it more than I did at the time.

I also put one on my M38 last month which has all new everything except I never rebuilt the steering box during this past winter's overhaul (big mistake, I should have done it while it was out and laying on my garage floor). The steering box was a mess before the TightSteer and is still a mess after the Tightseer (although slightly improved).

How bad is yours? I think anything less than a 1/8 - 1/4 turn of the wheel's worth of play and you're doing better than most.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:36:53 AM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Steering
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 11:41:16 AM »
Good point Ryan, Tight Steer will not  fix sloppy steering but it will make good steering better.
Mine has about 1" to 2" of play in the steering wheel which is about the same as before I installed Tight Steer.
Considering that the jeep and I are the same age maybe I should be content with both of us being a bit off.

[/size]
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Steering
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 09:51:21 PM »
Not entirely clear as to your question, but you did ask about options short of rebuilding the Ross box.  My steering is closely adjusted, I have the Tightsteer, the box rebuilt, and all is well, but until I installed a stabilizer on the axle tube/tie rod bar, I still would have the "death wobble" on occasion.  I don't have it anymore and I like that my steering is smooth and true.  Largely due to the stabilizer, in my opinion.  Just saying...I think a stabilizer is an improvement to this steering design just as is a Tightsteer.
Tom