• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
Re: Fuse?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 11:47:23 AM »
Pretty fair price for what you get -
fuse holder, 2 fuses, wire pigtail, custom mounting bracket with screws.

Some guy is doing the old Model A people a kind favor. That's easily a $20 part on the normal market at today's markup rates. Of course you could make your own from parts in your scrap drawer, but it wouldn't be as neat.

I have a drawer full of fuse holders of various kinds. I've been using them on my 3B. I'm fusing separately the horn, lights, wipers and ignition. I'm using the fuseholders to fill some of the many, many holes in the dash drilled by POs. Definitely not original, but functional.
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline dat

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »
Hi Nate,

It's an original switch...and I'm sure it was just the resistor burning off some crud....

but if it had been more serious, then the only way to break the circuit is to jump out, open the hood, and disconnect the battery..I never did get that battery disconnect switch installed, i couldn't find an under-dash location that didn't require lots of extra battery cable or cutting holes....

looks like a fuse on the back of that switch,   I don't have a heater on mine so I don't know, but from the picture it looks like a fuse
1950 cj3a, she was a swimmer and wears rust well

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 06:19:55 PM »
There is a fuse and there is also a resistor.

I guess it just sort of reminded me when it got hot, that if it had been any other powered circuit there is no immediate disconnect or fuse......
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 06:23:28 PM »
The fuse holder arrived, well made and it fit the Model A to perfection....

Next order I'll get one for the 3A..

1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 11:32:37 PM »
Well I finally did it. Everything fit just fine with only one hole drilled in the fuse bracket and a longer screw used to fasten it through the starter switch and into the starter...

Parts were from www.Brattons.com, a model A ford parts
supplier..

switch # 20190
cable  #  20180
Bracket# 20170

Now for a supply of spare 30 Amp fuses!

Offline Julian

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 11:36:26 PM »
Fusible links were commonly fitted to later Jeeps such as the Cj5 and Cj7, they were positioned in two locations:

1. From the solenoid going to the fuse box and instrument panel and hence most of the harness
3. From the solenoid to the alternator feed.

The headlights and starter did not have fusible links, for safety reasons on the headlights (they have a momentary circuit breaker) and the starter would have knocked one out fairly regularly.

The purpose is to protect the harness from melt down, not individual items from blowing fuses. They are a little more than just a piece of wire in a flameproof sleeve but still fairly cheap.

A good investment in an old Willys.