The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Transmission/Transfer Case  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

Transmission/Transfer Case
« on: June 15, 2015, 10:04:25 AM »
Okay so I still have this whine in either the tranfer case or transmission (2nd and 3rd gear only). I rebuilt the transmission again with more new parts and I thought that would take care of the problem - my question is this:

Is there a way to run the transmission only, by removing the rear drive gear to the transfer case? My thinking is that this would isolate the problem area to either the transfer case or the transmission. I can not determine where the whine is coming from. 
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission/Transfer Case
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »
George,
Without that gear, the transmission can't drive the axles.  If you don't need to move to hear the noise, then you should be able to run the tranny without that gear in place. 

I'm not sure there is a way to isolate the TC without the transmission.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 12:05:09 PM »
Hey Tim,
This is correct - I don't need the Jeep to move - when I have the transfer case in neutral the whining is audible in 2nd and 3rd gear. I really cannot isolate the whine or feel it in any 1 spot on the transmission, shifter tower, or transfer case. My suspicions are that the noise is the transfer case but I would really like to confirm this. I think I may try to remove the rear gear and give it a go. I'm just trying to be catious so I don't damage anything in the process.
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"

Online 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:11:20 PM »
I don't think I'd run it without the output gear on the transmission.

But, you could probably remove the intermediate gear and run it briefly.

I had a whine in second and third...I tried everything, removing drive shafts, one at a time, driving with only the front axle engaged etc...

Replacing the intermediate gear did the trick. The old gear looked fine, but the bore must have been worn.

I also suspect the output shaft gear as there is a tiny whine at high speed, but that is more involved. I'll see if i can find a link to my video...see if the noise is similar...

It is noticeable at about 40 mph...

http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/green55jeep/media/transmission%20whine/P1070479_zpsbb3e1468.mp4.html
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:21:30 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »
I did install a new intermediate shaft but not the gear. I think this would be easy to remove from the bottom of the xfer case. I'm going to try this before I remove the entire xfer case.
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"

Online 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 05:45:38 PM »
it's not too hard...

drain the case, remove the yoke and e-brake assembly, take the pan off, remove the intermediate shaft lock plate and drive the intermediate shaft out from the front towards the rear. hold onto the gear as it and the thrust washers may drop out. since it's been out recently it ought to come out pretty easily. I "started" mine using a steel rod but as soon as it moved I switched to a brass drift.....

I did this about three times with the tub in place....

visually my intermediate gear looked fine but was noisy....the used replacement gear is quiet.....

1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 11:06:47 AM »
Looks like we will have a dry weekend so I'll get to work on it Saturday.

Thanks again
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"

Offline dat

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »
it's not too hard...

visually my intermediate gear looked fine but was noisy....the used replacement gear is quiet.....

just a thought, new gears, may be not exactly smooth teeth, doesn't hurt bot could be noisy,� could it quieten down with time, wear in.   more as a question for future reference for me than as a solution to anything mentioned above
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:27:59 AM by dat »
1950 cj3a, she was a swimmer and wears rust well

Online 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
Yes, I think if the noise is a result of the gear mesh new gears could be noisy too, unless you had a new original set, as I hope they would have been quiet when new. A worn bore might be easily cured with a new gear, or good used gear.

Trying to isolate a gear noise is not easy....I used a mechanics stethoscope and checked it over while it was running with the drive shaft removed and finally convinced myself it was the transfer case. I was prepared to rebuild it again and change all the gears, but the easier intermediate gear swap did the trick....

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 03:07:17 PM »
My intermediate shaft is new made in the USA and my gear looks good but I am not sure about the ID of the gear. I am inclined to get a new gear and complete bearing kit.
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"

Online 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 03:48:02 PM »
I used my shaft that had about 500 miles on it, but I did change the bearings.

I tried a novak shaft but was unable to get the "O" rings in without cutting them to bits....it's probably much easier to install one with the TC on the work bench....

This is a pic of my old gear..the noisy one...I really thought it looked pretty good....

If you have another intermediate gear it would be worth swapping...it may not cure the noise but it may be different!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:48:57 PM by 1955CJ-5 »