The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Bellcrank install and torque  (Read 20325 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »
I think it's odd that Walck's offers the identical kit for 2a's, 3a's, FC150's, M-38, etc etc, yet there is no extra dust seal or washer for that gap....

Where's Bretto? Doesn't he have an M-38?
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »
I agree with Randy.  I think Bretto is our key.

This could have been a design change, but why would everyone sell the same repair kit that is interchangeable between so many different Willys versions?

Tim

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »
Here is a picture of Bretto's frame.� This tells me it is conclusive that there was a design change for the M38.� Is there some type of shim pack available?


2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »
I went through Bretto's build pics but I guess I didn't go back far enough.

That picture clearly shows a bushing or sleeve..

Ryan's post on the willysmjeeps forum got a response that shows some special washers/shims/spacers in there...here is the picture

I think Ryan needs to call Carl or John Bizal....

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:24:31 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »
There was a change. I'm still not sure if my bracket "sleeve" is correct but there did appear to be that protrusion there - whether sleeved or originally cast. The parts diagram for the M38 also shows a spring washer (which I don't have) and the thicker boot/seal that I do have in my pic. Those are parts #9 and #10 in the M38 diagram. If I can find a suitable spring washer replacement I think it'll be OK.

I am still a big fan of Walck's, but the "Bell crank kit 7/8" CJ2A, CJ3A, CJ3B, CJ5, CJ6, DJ, FC 150, M38, M38A1 Part Number: 920556" is another part that should not be advertised as completely suitable for the M38.


« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:58:11 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »
Here is an M38 bellcrank bracket. It's difficult to see in the photo but the shoulder is part of the bracket and that's where the seal rides. The seal has a metal "spring" around it to provide more pressure on the sealing surfaces.

Bob W

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 08:41:09 PM »
Interesting. My seal does not have that spring. Is that the "6. SPRING, TENSION, SEAL" in the M38 Fig. 24 above? Fig. 24 seems to show #6 above the #7 seal but maybe it was meant to wrap around it?

I'm confident I can make my set-up work and I'm pushing this now solely out of curiosity. See what happens when you guys allow this step-child 3A variant to hang with the 3A family?�
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:42:05 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »
Quote
See what happens when you guys allow this step-child 3A variant to hang with the 3A family?�

I wouldn't have it any other way!� 8-). We're all learning new and interesting variants.�

Now, the million dollar question...�

What advantage/improvement does this design change offer?

The M38 was designed to "ford".� �Assuming all the seals are correct and fresh, would this be more water tight?

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »
Interesting, isn't it? 

I think of the M-38 as a military CJ-3a but there are probably more differences than there are similarities.

I have a friend who has one and he swears it drives better than any CJ....maybe the steering box to bellcrank geometry is just a little different..
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »
I suppose the M38 would be more water tight with the added seal and spring. I know when I sloshed through deep water in my 3A last year I saw A LOT of water squeeze out of the bell crank when I regreased it.

I plan on taking the M38 on the same trip next year so I'll be able to compare test results....
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Kirkski

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 06:49:46 AM »
Interesting thread, I am intending to install the bell crank repair kit today� hopefully its pretty straight forward... ::)
'52 CJ-3A

Offline Kirkski

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 08:01:46 AM »
Nothing can be straight forward can it?

No what pray tell....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:02:23 AM by Kirkski »
'52 CJ-3A

Offline Kirkski

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Bellcrank install and torque
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »
Pressing, pounding etc ... Any words of wisdom here? Nothing on the web that I have found...
'52 CJ-3A