The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Advice: frozen u shackle bushing in spring hanger  (Read 4648 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline squidtone

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Advice: frozen u shackle bushing in spring hanger
« on: December 07, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »
Hello,
I've hit a roadblock on taking apart this ol' Jeep, and it's the U shackle bushings. Of course these are the hollow bushings that I presume are steel, threaded on the OD and ID, and feature a 7/8" Hex with a grease fitting in the middle. I've managed to free up about 5 or 6 of the 8 units, like these:



but the ones that really concern me are the ones installed into the spring hangers in the frame, like the front right:



(By the way, I know about the left handed ones on in the spring eyes on the front left and rear right, this Jeep does have notched hex head indicating same.)

Worst case, as far as the frozen ones in the spring eyes, I believe I can just cut the shackle and unscrew the remnant, then punch out the bushing and larger spring tube, right?

But for the one(s) stuck in the spring hanger, what's the best course of action? Any recommendations?

I put a small cheater pipe on my breaker bar, for the frozen unit in the spring hanger, and it did budge a wee bit, but I believe the hex head is going to twist off. Does this mean the spring hanger is toast? Has anyone extracted the steel bushing out of the spring hanger? What I'm afraid of is since it's threaded in there, there is no way it will be able to be pressed out. Can it be slitted with a hack saw, drilled? How hard it this bushing?

Any comments appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Advice: frozen u shackle bushing in spring hanger
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 11:17:33 PM »
As far as I can remember, though the shackle nut/bushing has coarse threads on the outside, the hanger bushing itself was not threaded....

My approach would be to use lots of aerokroil, heat, and if it breaks, cut off one end and punch it out....

I found those u-bolt shackles to be annoying, to say the very least.... >:(
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline johnrb3b

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 906
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
Re: Advice: frozen u shackle bushing in spring hanger
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
Don't forget that two of those things are reverse thread.
I'm wracking my brain
- upper right rear ?
- upper left front ?
Is that right? Arrghgh. Can't remember and my books are at home.
Somebody correct me.
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Advice: frozen u shackle bushing in spring hanger
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 01:35:48 PM »
It is supposed to be the end in the left front spring eye/loop, and the right rear spring eye/loop...

But he said his had the notches in the hex head which are supposed to identify the left handed threads....
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:36:16 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Advice: frozen u shackle bushing in spring hanger
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 06:22:22 PM »
The left threads should be in those two spring eyes. A lot of people have worked on these old Jeeps since they were new and I've seen the left threads in every position.  :o  Original shackle thread direction can be identified by the markings on the nut. Use a lot of heat and try turning the nut in both directions just to help break it loose. If that doesn't work cut off the U and try to screw the bushing out. Worst case the spring hanger can be replaced on the frame. Two rivets and a few short welds is all that's holding it on.
Bob W

Offline squidtone

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Advice: frozen u shackle bushing in spring hanger
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:55:51 PM »
Okay thanks guys.
Today I found a blurb on the internet where one guy managed to get the u shackle out, then he drilled the bushing hole out a bit more, then put in a hacksaw blade and sliced it carefully then chiseled the bushing out.

Bob W, as you point out, the worst case is I just replace the hanger...seems like a pretty simple thing, except I'd probably put in grade 8 nuts/bolts and weld edges like original; I don't have hot rivet capability! But I'd like to avoid hanger replacement. The hangers and front frame are in good shape. i don't know why the P.O. welded on the additional metal on the front horns...I'm thinking it was just a preventative measure that came with the snow plow installation.

I will post again with my outcome.
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline squidtone

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Advice: frozen u shackle bushing in spring hanger
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 11:44:04 PM »
Good news, I got the stubborn shackle bushings out. I believe the units on my Jeep were original. They are made of some tough stuff. I can't believe the worst one didn't break. turns out too that these seem to be something like 29/32" inch hex size, but a 7/8" socket was coaxed into working.



In the case of the worst one, the passenger front, the U-shackle was completely and forever frozen inside the bushing. So I cut the shackle off flush with the bushing (not cut flush yet in the photo) so I could just concentrate on the bushing. I applied simple propane heat to the bushing bracket for about 10 minutes and the assembly was smoking pretty good. I put on the breaker bar and dang! It moved! It only turned about 20 degrees and stopped, so I just went back and forth with all my might a couple dozen times and it finally started to twist out. It took major effort until it was almost all the way out. Whew. But the bracket looks good and seems ready to serve again.
I bought my first batch of new parts which included all new shackles and bushings. I'm looking forward to getting it back on it's feet.
Thanks for the advice.
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Advice: frozen u shackle bushing in spring hanger
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
Quote
these seem to be something like 29/32" inch hex size,

They are an odd size for sure....I thought my new ones were poorly made but the old ones were the same.....23mm maybe?
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...