The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: What did I buy?  (Read 4995 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rob

  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
What did I buy?
« on: December 01, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »
Recently purchased a 1952 CJ3A, however it is different than most others. It has the higher hood for the Hurricane engine however the headlights are in the lower position.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:44:58 PM »
Wow.  I've never seen anything like it.  I've seen a number of concept Willys Jeeps, but nothing like this. 

Possibly an early Mahindra?  The frame looks completely different too.

Can you post more photos?

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:52:32 PM »
If you look at the backside, I'm betting you will find a seam on the back of that horizontal line above the slots..I'm thinking someone wrecked the jeep, which accounts for the damaged /modified front frame and they couldn't find a 3B grille at the time so they modified a 3A grille.

Post a pic of the backside of the grill if you can. Definitely a unique look. 
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:29 PM »
I'm beginning to think that grill was modified.� The rust lines just above the lights are right where the original 3A grill would have been.

Edit...Bill spotted the same thing I did.

Tim 

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:56:56 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 11:58:41 AM »
I would have to agree also with the Bubbified 3a grille.  If I'm not mistaken, I thought the 3B grille had WILLYS stamped in the center also?

Offline oldtime

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 234
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 12:46:30 PM »
Check the serial numbers but I'm guessing it's a 1952 CJ-3A.
The trans-model modifications include the engine, the tub or at least the cowl section, the windshield, the hood, and the worlds ugliest grill /guard. 
It might make a nice candidate for a sloped hood 3B.

See: http://cj3b.info/Photos/Proto/Willys141041Left.jpg

Offline SteveW

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 457
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 03:27:59 PM »
Didn't they modify some jeeps that were used as tugs with newer F heads? I don't think that is it but have seen some pic's somewhere of planes being pulled with ugly modified jeeps.
1950 CJ3A finished. 1950 CJ3A in pieces. 1947 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Scooter 50 series

Offline johnrb3b

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 906
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »
Yes, more pictures - engine compartment, sides, rear end, windshield, dash.
At the risk of offending you about your new toy, it does look kind of uglified. But hey, it's an old Willys and you can have imense fun with it so don't let anybody put it down.
If it runs and stops safely, get out there and enjoy.
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 12:20:04 AM »
We must have lost Rob.  It's been a week since he posted his one and only post asking about his purchase.  I've been returning to see the additional photos that have been requested.
Come on back Rob.
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline oldtime

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 234
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 11:29:17 AM »
Yeah Rob we all have questions.
Take no offense to my "worlds ugliest grill" comment.
Hey that's actually a compliment !

Anyway, what I think we all want to know is ...
Was the grill spliced or is it formed from a single sheet ?

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
It's his 1st post, hopefully he'll remember he came by here and come back.
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
Okay,� which one of you guys angered Rob? ;)

This is one of the hottest topics going.� I don't think he understands how exciting this kind of stuff is for guys like us.� I wish he'd come back with more photos.� The suspense is killing me.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: What did I buy?
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 08:50:32 PM »
I think it is a modified 3A grille. You can see the seam above the lights.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted