The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Looking for Quality Brake Hoses  (Read 1561 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Looking for Quality Brake Hoses
« on: June 16, 2014, 07:48:08 AM »
While servicing my Jeep and getting ready for some heavy trail riding I noticed that the brake hose that serves the rear axle is weeping a bit at the rear fitting (where the metal fitting is swaged onto the rubber hose).  It's been 7 years since my complete rebuild.  Looking at the front axle brakes hoses, too, they each are showing signs of concern, especially when one realizes that a failure anywhere in the entire brake system, with the single master cylinder, means total brake failure. 
Like others have expressed in the past, I am disappointed in the quality of rubber items available for our Jeeps.
Is anyone aware of a quality source for a set of the rubber brake hoses for the CJ-3A brake system?
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Quality Brake Hoses
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:25:52 AM »
I have had good luck taking hoses to my local NAPA store and have them manufacture a new hose.  However, my local NAPA store is 1/2 auto parts and 1/2 tractor parts and they make a LOT of hydraulic hoses.  Heck, I've even taken a garden hose to them to crimp a new end on.  You may check with some equipment suppliers in your area.

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Quality Brake Hoses
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:06:29 PM »
Hey Calvin, been a while since we have seen you here.

X2 on a hydraulic shop.  I bet Evco house of hose down the road here from me would be able to build me one, for you, if you have no luck.  I don't know if I have my old one or not though for comparison.  It concerns me to of the rubber I have bought a few years ago.  It's funny though, I think I took that into consideration when I had my oil lines built by them, I don't know why I didn't have them build me brake lines to. :o  You would think something as important as a braking system, they wouldn't be able to get away with poor quality.

 Brett
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]