The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Clutch Pedal Link  (Read 10950 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 08:45:24 PM »
The clevis ends arrived today...

Tim,

If it's not too late could you measure the 5/16" rod you used and did you think it was too short, too long, or just right?

Thanks,

Randy
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »
I made mine 8 1/4".  I wanted some adjustment, and as much thread as possible making contact between the clevis and the rod. 

I think 8" would be perfect.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 09:25:29 PM »
Thanks Tim,

8" it is......
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
I really need to do this. I've broken 2 stock clutch pedal links and now carry an extra with me. Since Tim has posted the exact specs and materials list I'm running out of excuses.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 09:49:50 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 10:03:06 PM »
I think they will take more time to install than it will to get them assembled....

If you were totally clever you would thread one end left hand and the other right hand, and then you could adjust it by simply turning the rod....

But I don't have the right tools to do that......
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 10:11:46 PM »
Quote
I think they will take more time to install than it will to get them assembled....

If you were totally clever you would thread one end left hand and the other right hand, and then you could adjust it by simply turning the rod....

But I don't have the right tools to do that......


That would be a good upgrade to this upgrade.� I suppose there are left hand thread dies out there somewhere.

Tim
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:12:44 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 10:15:13 PM »
Ryan,  did you break one on that crazy Northeast Willys trail run last year?  You guys were tearing it up on that trip.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 10:22:04 PM »
Quote
Quote
I think they will take more time to install than it will to get them assembled....

If you were totally clever you would thread one end left hand and the other right hand, and then you could adjust it by simply turning the rod....

But I don't have the right tools to do that......


That would be a good upgrade to this upgrade.� I suppose there are left hand thread dies out there somewhere.

Tim

The clevis with a left hand thread might be tricky, but I bet they are out there somewhere.....

Mine will have right handed threads and will do just fine... :)
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Jesse

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 11:41:30 AM »
This is a great idea, thanks for posting it!



As an aside, I once broke this link on the road. Found a peice of chain in the ditch and used some wire to affix it to the holes. Worked better than walking.


-Jesse
Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 09:43:27 PM »
Quote
Quote
Quote
I think they will take more time to install than it will to get them assembled....

If you were totally clever you would thread one end left hand and the other right hand, and then you could adjust it by simply turning the rod....

But I don't have the right tools to do that......


That would be a good upgrade to this upgrade.� I suppose there are left hand thread dies out there somewhere.

Tim

The clevis with a left hand thread might be tricky, but I bet they are out there somewhere.....

Mine will have right handed threads and will do just fine... :)
Maybe you could find a turnbuckle with wide enough material in the middle for the hole for the pin then cut it in half for two clevises.  Then you could have your left handed thread clevis.  Sounds like too much work though.
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline johnrb3b

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 906
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 01:21:29 PM »
Quote
If you were totally clever you would thread one end left hand and the other right hand, and then you could adjust it by simply turning the rod.
That was the first thing I looked for in the McMaster-Carr catalog. They do have reverse thread clevises and they have rod threaded left and right on opposite ends, but not in the sizes and styles I needed. So I'll just make do with standard thread. It's not like you'll have to mess with this adjustment very often.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:22:28 PM by johnrb3b »
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »
John is right. Once adjusted to size, you'll rarely need to adjust the length again.

This brings up another tech question.� From extreme end to extreme end, my original style links measured 10 3/4" on both of my 3As, so this is where I set my new links.� On test runs, this length works fine, but I'm not sure it's correct.

What measurement have others found theirs to be?

I wouldn't ask if your link is installed, as it would be a pain in the rump, but this will be an easy measurement for those of you that have replaced your link.

Tim�
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 09:58:25 PM »
I broke the first one on my rolling chassis test run but in fairness to the link the pedal was likely way out of adjustment and since there was no tub the pedal traveled further than it ordinariy should have / would have.

I broke a second one on an old 2A I was trying to get started for a friend. I jumped in, mashed the clutch, and SNAP! That's the one that made me realize just how prone to failure these rods can be. I ordered an extra and it lives in the on-board toolbox.

Here are the measurements from the trusty Walck's spare:

10-3/4" outside end to outside end
10-1/2" center of cotter pin hole to center of cotter pin hole

The picture is deceiving as it appears the rod is not properly aligned with the ruler but I can assure you it is.



« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:59:43 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 10:56:29 PM »
Excellent!  That confirms it.  Thanks Ryan.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 09:57:05 AM »
Thanks guys for posting this info. Getting the 3A (Stryker) ready for the FCT and its up on jack stands. So it would be a good time to change it out.
Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B