The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Clutch Pedal Link  (Read 10954 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Clutch Pedal Link
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:02:28 AM »
On one of my chassis runs with Whitey, I pressed on the clutch.� All of the sudden�bammm!� Pedal went to the floor.

Whitey�s link is the primer red one in the photo.� I was a mile away from my house when this happened.� I walked home, grabbed the link off ODie, (Green one in the photo) and used it to get Whitey home.

Because I do believe the Willys engineers were smarter than me, I made a new traditional link (unpainted one in the photo), but then decided to 'upgrade' this link.� Many of you have done this already.� I held out...until I was stranded.�

I made one for Whitey and ODie.� I�ll keep the traditional links in my on board parts selection just in case another Willys Jeeper breaks theirs along a lonely mountain trail�




All painted up and ready for installation�






It's a pretty easy project, and will give you a sense of security when used on your Willys.� Or, Have a traditional spare link with you at all times. ;)� It is, after all, the "Weak Link" in the clutch pedal equation. ;D

Tim

OOps.  Not pictured are the required clevis pins and cotter pins. :-[
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 10:08:36 AM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
That's what mine has to, far superior to the stock design.  After buying a new replacement back when I was doing my restore, I realized how poorly that design was.  When you have the tub off, you can see how it flexes.  With the clevis setup, it's a solid straight pull.
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 04:25:31 PM »
That is a great idea....it never even crossed my mind...

5/16 rod?
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 06:02:03 PM »
Hmm, I'll have to put that on the to do list.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 06:19:56 PM »
This is not my idea.� I have seen this discussed on a number of Willys sites.� It's clearly a wear point, but I never thought the rod would just, break.

It is 5/16" rod, with 24 fine threaded ends.� Got the clevis ends on Ebay after stopping in at Napa.� (They only had one...and it was at the warehouse)

I have them installed now, but we are currently receiving about an inch of hale, so the test run will have to wait a bit.

Tim�
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline gmcjr

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Even a blind hog finds a acorn every now and then.
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 07:05:49 PM »
Good Fix!
Gary in N. Texas
51 CJ-3A (old Trusty)
52 Ford 8n (ugly duckling)
46Farmall B (old Rusty)
18 Wrangler Jk

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »
Thanks Tim, I will add it to the punch list before the tub goes on...
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 07:20:04 PM »
Tim,

Is this the jeep that had the heavy duty 9 1/2" clutch and pressure plate?

When I got it my jeep had a replacement rod that was threaded on one end, and had a 90* fitting like the one on the throttle linkage..

I replaced it but I will now replace the replacement.....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:25:46 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline johnrb3b

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 906
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
Do you have a link to where you got the brass clevises?
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
Hi Randy,� The broken rod happened on Whitey with the HD clutch and pressure plate.� I think this would be similar to the clutch on your CJ5.

John,
Here is the link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300937846421?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

He had the best price.� Napa carries them, but they don't seem to have them on the shelf.


Tim

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:13:18 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »
Thanks Tim....are you going to have to drill out the clutch tube and crossover tube to accept the clevis pins?  That might complicate things when the tub is on.....

I couldn't find the ebay items so I ordered from McMaster Carr..zinc plated....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-ends/=s5xd51

1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline johnrb3b

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 906
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
OK that's even better.
McMaster-Carr is just around the corner from my house.
Thanks.
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 11:02:09 PM »
Randy,
The new links are installed.� I didn't have to drill out the tubes.� The holes are 5/16" so the 5/16" clevis pins worked perfectly.

I've driven both ODie and Whitey with the new links.� Everything is working as it should.

 8-)

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 11:16:01 PM »
Tim,

Excellent...I'll get mine made and installed soon...

Thanks for bringing this up..I had no idea it was a weak point....

Randy
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal Link
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 08:20:19 AM »
Ace hardware has them.
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]