The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: New lugnut studs and hub  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

New lugnut studs and hub
« on: April 10, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »
Replacing the old rear brake drums with new drums and wheel hubs. I have beat and heated the studs to try and get them inserted into the new hubs. Anyone got an easier idea how I can get them inserted easier?

Thanks,

Tumbleweed
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline F Bill

Re: New lugnut studs and hub
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:49:50 PM »
Are you sure you have the right studs for the application and are assembling the hub and drum in the right place? Heating the studs will make them larger, not what you need at all.. An Arbor press or regular hydraulic press works well for stud installation but you have to not bend anything when using presses so be sure everything it the right size first.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 04:22:52 PM »
I meant to say I heated the axle hub and not the studs. I actually put the studs in the freezer - I really think I need to find someone with a 20 ton press.
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"

Offline F Bill

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »
I know a guy but he's in Texas and surrounded by projects at the moment. :D
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline garage gnome

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »
A press works for me.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 09:03:14 AM »
Hey Bill I know the feeling. Mike's Offroad in Haltom city said he could do it - The guy that I purchased the parts from said his press was broken. Dang I wonder what broke a 20 ton press!

Anyway, I'll let you all know how it turns out.
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"