The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Filling steering knuckle  (Read 6899 times)

Offline SteveZ

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Filling steering knuckle
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:42:09 AM »
Where is the fill hole? On the backside? I've read about lubing with a "pudding" mixture but been in detailed schematics I don't see where to fill them. I must be overlooking the obvious. What type of filling plug is it so I can identify it.
I know it's a stupid question. But I've searched, checked my manuals and even the steering knuckle schematic with no mention of a fill hole. Do they have drains too?
This can be lubed without tear down correct?

Thanks & sorry
Semper Fi

Offline Oilleaker1

• Willys Guru
  • Automotive Archeology/ Jeep Disease, Green Diseas
    • View Profile
Re: Filling steering knuckle
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:20:52 AM »
It's on the rear and civilian Jeeps has a square head . Lots of info about the thick pudding. Grease gun grease is too thick and won't get thrown around inside enough to lube the knuckle bearings. 90 wt. just leaks out. 140 wt. is hard to find. John Deere sells corn head grease that is supposed to work. Then I read about CVC joint grease. So, I buy tubes of it at NAPA and simply squeeze a tube into each knuckle by taking the cap off on the tube and jamming it against the hole. Have your plug ready to put in because it tries to come back out. 5 bucks a tube. Simple and thick enough to stay in there, and doesn't seem to leak out. John

Offline SteveZ

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:28:06 AM »
Went back out and looked. Of course I found them.
I threw some 140 in it for now as they were damn near empty. I'll get the Napa for the next fill.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Semper Fi

Offline garage gnome

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:11:55 AM »
Steve, this is the correct stuff for the steering knuckles. You can put it in an empty tube of grease for a grease gun and pump it in.

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1366136243
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline SteveZ

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 08:29:23 AM »
Thank you
Semper Fi

Offline Mike S

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:54:52 AM »
Lucas has a product called Hub Oil that is formulated for steering axle knuckles and trailer hubs. It is the consistency fo pudding.

Link: https://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?catid=13&iid=35&loc=show
Life is short
Quit your job
Turn off the TV
Go outside and play

Offline F Bill

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »
Lucas has a product called Hub Oil that is formulated for steering axle knuckles and trailer hubs. It is the consistency fo pudding.

Link: https://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?catid=13&iid=35&loc=show

WAYYYY too thin,we use it on our over the road stuff. It is not like pudding unless it is really subzero cold.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Mike S

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
So Bill... you're sayin' this stuff won;t work. Seems like pudding to me and Im in sunny California.
Life is short
Quit your job
Turn off the TV
Go outside and play

Offline F Bill

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:11:14 PM »
Unless they changed the formulation, the Lucas hub lube we use is reddish and it flows like sticky gear lube.

I wouldn't use it, just buy CV grease in tubes from NAPA or mix your own pudding...

Or maybe Lucas is selling something special in the CA market I don't know about??

Or.. do you Californians drink your pudding out there?  ;D :o

Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.

Offline calvinhunt

• Flatfender Master
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 12:44:32 AM »
Mike S, F Bill,
I posted my success with the Lucas Hub Oil a year or two ago.  I was having trouble with 90W leaking out of just one of my steering knuckles after overhauling them.  It was leaking out of my steering gear box after overhaul as well.  I tried the Lucas Hub Oil in both the steering knuckles and the steering gear box and both have stayed up well.  Thin enough to lube well, but no leaks. I'm very pleased with it.
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline SteveZ

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 06:50:49 AM »
I just got done mixing my own "pudding" for future use. Mobil1 Gear Oil and Mobile1 Wheel Bearing Grease. I purchased a grease gun with a Seal Off adapter fitting specifically for using this on the knuckles and sterring box.
For my "pudding" I used about a 60 grease/40 oil mix.
The 140 leaked entirely out of my steering box. Hopefully this won't.
I saw the Lucas Oil Hub Oil. It did not appear thick enough. The STP Oil Treatment is like molasses. I wonder if that would work? For now, I'm going to stick with the "pudding"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:54:58 AM by szuppo »
Semper Fi

Offline F Bill

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 08:31:45 AM »
Mike S, F Bill,
I posted my success with the Lucas Hub Oil a year or two ago.� I was having trouble with 90W leaking out of just one of my steering knuckles after overhauling them.� It was leaking out of my steering gear box after overhaul as well.� I tried the Lucas Hub Oil in both the steering knuckles and the steering gear box and both have stayed up well.� Thin enough to lube well, but no leaks. I'm very pleased with it.

Calvin is the voice of experience here....So I retract my opinion of the Lucas Hub Oil on freshly rebuilt knuckles with good seals, etc. It will work well on those, as Calvin has proven.  :-[ Thanks for correcting us armchair quarterbacks.... 8-)

I'll still use CV grease in mine, as they aren't freshly rebuilt and would probably leak even if you packed them with frozen molasses.

Offline macrisel

• Flatfender Master
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »
I have also been using Lucas Hub Oil and have had very good results.  My hubs are also completly rebuilt.  At the time I went to NAPA to buy oil for the hubs, I actually went to get CV grease but they were sold out and wasn't going to get any until next week.  They had the Hub Oil so I decided to give it a shot (it was Friday afternoon and I wanted to get the hubs finished up over the weekend).  I have had good luck with other Lucas products so I thought I would be safe.  I ended up filling up the steering box with it also.

I think you would be safe to use:

1.  Lucas Hub Oil or 140wt oil (for freshly rebuilt hubs)
2.  CV Joint grease
3.  The EP grease Nate mentioned earlier
4.  John Deere corn head grease
5.  Home made knuckle pudding if you get the "mix" right.

Whatever you use, just make sure to check it often and top it off when needed! (This bit of advice goes for pretty much anything and everything on the Jeep!  Remember, these are 60+ year old machines.....)

Offline Mike S

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 12:55:36 PM »
Calvin and Mark...

Thanks for your confirmation of the Lucas Hub Oil product. I liked the idea of suitable product packaged in a one quart squeeze bottle. No mixing, easy to fill the knuckle, and generally available. Thanks again!

Mike

EDIT: another plus is that they specifically state that it is safe to use with synthetic lubes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:58:18 PM by Mike_S »
Life is short
Quit your job
Turn off the TV
Go outside and play

Offline jamesr

• Willys Guru
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »
You can also use a baggy, and cut a corner out of it to fill with. Squeezes like a cake decorator.� I also have used the ketchup or mustard plastic bottles, and cut the nozzle off so it is larger. I mix my own pudding using 1/3 - 85/140 Gear oil, 1/3 - Moreys additive and 1/3 - Moreys Chasis grease. I put it all in a 2 lb. coffee can and "warm" it on my bbq, untill it melts together. Then I let it cool and if need be, I reheat and add to thin or thcken to what you think is right.� �My upper bearing stays lubed, and there are no leaks. I've had a qt. bottle on the shelf for about two years, and nothing has seperated, its' just as it was when I mixed it.
JamesR
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:53:45 PM by jamesr »
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.