The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Body Mounts  (Read 8218 times)

Offline BMIC

Body Mounts
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »
After months of welding, grinding and sanding I am almost at the point of doing a dry fit of the tub on to the frame.
To this point many of us are amazed at the hours and dollars we have invested and don't want to cut any corners now.
BUT JEEZ...
$122+ for a body mounting kit? Who has the better idea?
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Body Mounts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 12:39:03 PM »
I just used these....I needed 14 as I used one on each side of the forward most body-to-frame mount

http://walcks4wd.com/body-mount-rubber-pad-military-and-cj-models.html

But many just cut them from old tires..

And I've read that you can buy those hard rubber rollers that they use on boat trailers and cut your own.

The bolts and special split lock nuts I bought from Mcmaster -carr.....I couldn't find the nuts locally...

BobW's book has a list of the bolts needed and the sizes...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:40:46 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_M

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
I originally spent the big bucks ($132) on the full kit from KW. I was really disappointed with it. It's an obvious "generic" kit that would work but isn't right for a 3A.  Most of the ones in the KW kit are round like hockey pucks and even the thinner style pucks are still too thick. They will work but I it makes the tub sit higher off the frame than it really should. This may not be a big deal in a lot of cases but I wasn't happy with it.

I ended up buying some much more "correct" square rubber pads from a guy on ebay - I think this was before Walck's started carrying them. I used those pads and some of the bolts and washers from the KW kit to make it work. I'm pretty certain I could have saved a bundle if I found a sheet of rubber and cut my own and cobbled together the right hardware locally.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline garage gnome

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:12:55 PM »
This works pretty good. The '49 will be getting the same thing.

Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline macrisel

• Flatfender Master
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »
I used the kit that came with my tub..........but I'm assuming it is the same kit that you buy from KW or Walck's.  It is really nothing spectacular and I still had to trim down several spacers to get the tub to sit level on the frame.

In hindsight, I would definately just do what others have said and buy a boat roller and cut my own spacers or use an old tire.  The bolts in the kit were just regular zinc plated bolts (not even stainless!!) with nylon loc-nuts.  All together, you might have $35 in the rollers, bolts, nuts and washers if you buy them yourself.

To cut/trim the spacers, I had luck with a few different methods.  A bandsaw works well if you need a thick (3/4" or more) chunk and you make a jig to hold it.  Also, you can take a hacksaw blade and heat it up with a torch and cut through pretty easy.  To shave off small amounts for fine tuning the thickness (1/8" or less) I had good luck with a belt sanding machine and an 80 grit belt.  Be prepared to take the spacers in and out several times to get the tub sitting level.

One last thing, when you get the spacers finished and the tub sitting level and you are ready to take the tub off for paint, make sure you mark what spacer goes where!!!!  Otherwise someone helping you (like your brother-in-law and best friend) may walk over and gather up all the body mounts off the frame and toss them into an oil can before you can write down which spacer goes where... :o

All part of the fun! ;)

Offline PaulS

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
I just ordered a pair of these:

http://www.just8ns.com/catalog/2N-8125-1939-64-Pad%28Lower-Radiator-Support%29SOLD-IN-PAIRS

They're to go under the rad on my '49 tractor.� The old ones look like they're cut out of conveyor belt material.� I'll have to report back when these ones get here, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could be used as body mounts.� And for $3.50 a pair, the price isn't bad.

-Paul

Offline Mike S

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »
Or... just go to McMaster Carr and look under belting. Lots of choices for a few bucks a foot...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-drive-belts/=qckkua
Life is short
Quit your job
Turn off the TV
Go outside and play

Offline BMIC

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:38:35 AM »
Thanks for the impute, not only the usual good answers but the "out of the box" approach by Nate.
Curious Nate, do you get any feel of sway when cornering? How many body mount points did you use the springs on?
I think after 65 years the need for some custom fitting is best made here. I will use the rubber belt, boat roller, hockey puck approach and go on a KW shopping spree with the savings.
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline Birddog7

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »
Garage Gnome, Would you mind listing a parts lists of what you used and where you purchased them.
That is a great setup you came up with.
Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline garage gnome

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 01:17:43 PM »
On my '53, I used hokey pucks (given to me a by a hockey coach friend) and any old valve springs work. I asked a local machine shop for them. They just gave them to me. Make sure to get all the parts too so the bolt fits nicely and the spring doesn't move. Then I used stainless bolts, stainless fender washers and stainless nylon lock nuts and I don't remember the length of the bolts

I used these on the 6 under the front floor, the 2 for the rear floor and the 4 across the back. For the back ones, the valve springs go up so you don't see them sticking down from the rear cross member. No, I don't get any body roll and I have flexed this jeep on some rocks and the valve springs do provide the give and prevent the body from flexing when the frame flexes.

I'll do the same on my '49, but instead of hockey pucks, I'll use some 1/4" conveyor belt since that is the same thickness as the original mounts. I noticed while working on that tub that a few of the body mounts are cracked. I guess that comes from having no give to them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:21:43 PM by garage_gnome »
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline ZekeD

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »
That is just brilliant!   The bolts I took off of the '49 were toast and the spring with puck (or half puck) looks like the way to go.    You guys and this forum are the best.

Zeke
The most affectionate thing in the world is a wet dog.

Offline Birddog7

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 12:30:20 PM »
Nate, Thanks for the info and the pic of the 53 and parts you used. Ingenious use of extra worn out parts. I am trying to repair some Bubba PO problems on my 48/49. Body mounts being one of them. PO got a new tub in 2004 but did not make the effort to fit it correctly to the frame. all thread and washers ugh!
Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline garage gnome

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »
Thanks guys. When I took that pic, I walked around my jeep and looked at the mounts. The ones by the drivers rear tire had some air space from the frame flexing.

Offline Oilleaker1

• Willys Guru
  • Automotive Archeology/ Jeep Disease, Green Diseas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 05:43:11 PM »
Nate, the Willys pickups and '41-'46 Chevy pickups used springs on the rear cab mounts also. Jeep had one on top and bottom of the mount. Chevy was on one side. What I admire about what you do is that you learn a lot working on all your antique machinery. Then you apply it to others as a improvement. (Loved your dual carb setup!) John

Offline garage gnome

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »
Thanks! Glad you appreciate my work!