The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: T90 stuck in gear  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Biotex

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
T90 stuck in gear
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »
I tried rocking the CJ back and forth. Even drug it with a chain for a bit. I can't get the tranny out of 1st gear I'm guessing cause it sat for many many years IDK.

I had to unhook the drive shaft to tow it home 5 blocks from where I bought it.  Would it do any good to remove the shifter, or am I destined to pull the tranny?
1950 CJ3A
1990 Comanche
2006 Rubicon

Offline garage gnome

Re: T90 stuck in gear
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »
You'll probably have to rebuild the tranny. Water can get down through the shift tower and push the oil out. You might get lucky and it could just be bound up shift rails. If that is the case, pull the top off it and slide the gear into neutral.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:26:31 PM »
It is not too difficult to pull the top off the tranny to see what you have....better than forcing it and breaking something.

Would the transfer case not shift into neutral either?  If there is a lot of water in the transmission it can also get into the transfer case through the built in lube passages.
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Biotex

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:56:08 AM »
It is not too difficult to pull the top off the tranny to see what you have....better than forcing it and breaking something.

Would the transfer case not shift into neutral either?� If there is a lot of water in the transmission it can also get into the transfer case through the built in lube passages.

I was able to shift the T-Case thank goodness. I am in the desert SW, so not a lot of water. Perhaps I can save it.

Build thread started.
1950 CJ3A
1990 Comanche
2006 Rubicon

Offline Mike S

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »
Pull the op off and have a look. A lot of these old Jeeps sit out in the weather and the gear box is found to be half full of water and rusted. This usually requires a new gear cluster set, maybe a main shaft if the water fills the case. I hope this is not the problem with yours.

You might try Break Free on the shift rods in the cover. Sometimes that is all that;s needed.
Life is short
Quit your job
Turn off the TV
Go outside and play

Offline Biotex

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »
Do you think it would be un-wise to drain, and top it off with some ATF and let it sit for a couple of weeks? Maybe some diesel fuel mixed in?
1950 CJ3A
1990 Comanche
2006 Rubicon

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »
The only experience I had was when I installed an overdrive in the CJ-5. Herm recommended that I fill the transfer case with diesel and run it for a few minutes with the rear wheels elevated, just to clean the "gunk" out of the T-case.

So I guess diesel won't hurt anything...

But, the gears in the transmission are not all completely submerged in oil, so it will take time for it to wick into all the parts if you are unable to turn it.....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Biotex

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 04:32:48 PM »
Good to hear on the diesel thing. Perhaps I can stick a small hose down into it and circulate it with some kind of pump. IDK, just thinking outloud. I'm probably going to open up the top this weekend and take a peek at the least.

1950 CJ3A
1990 Comanche
2006 Rubicon

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 05:37:39 PM »
I think you may learn a lot from opening the top...you really don't know if the gears are stuck on the shaft or if the problem is in the shift tower.....

Offline garage gnome

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 06:01:57 PM »
The only experience I had was when I installed an overdrive in the CJ-5. Herm recommended that I fill the transfer case with diesel and run it for a few minutes with the rear wheels elevated, just to clean the "gunk" out of the T-case.

So I guess diesel won't hurt anything...

But, the gears in the transmission are not all completely submerged in oil, so it will take time for it to wick into all the parts if you are unable to turn it.....

Yep, good advice. I did that same diesel treatment to my 49 last winter when I had to drain out the oil/water mixture. It would freeze over night and I couldn't move it without a torch.� ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:02:17 PM by garage_gnome »
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline calvinhunt

• Flatfender Master
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 11:11:31 PM »
[size=12]This thread reads like one of those old serial movies that used to play before the main presentation (some of us are old enough to remember them).  I can't wait to see what the outcome will be.  But I guess I'll have to.

Good luck Biotex.  I believe you're just at the beginning of a lot of fun challenges with your CJ that most of us have enjoyed.  Some of the challenges will be dis-heartening, but as you can see, you have a lot of good advice on this site. [/size]
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline Biotex

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
Pulled the drain plug, and nothing but water came out. Not rusty water, but mostly clear. I went back up top, and the shifter now is not stuck, in fact, it shifts rather smoothly now.
I'm puzzled to say the least. But happy! :)

I also pulled the plug from the T.C. because IIRC, they share the same fluids. Nothing but a few drips of sludge came out. It shifts also ok. So, I think I will flush them both out with ATF and diesel, and refill with gear oil.

No more updates to this thread for me, as I will switch over to my build thread, and keep this for tech stuff.

On another note, with the tranny un-stuck, the engine spins over a whole lot easier. By hand I'm talking. It feels normal now. I believe I will pull the tub and swap frames for the unmolested one on my parts heep.
1950 CJ3A
1990 Comanche
2006 Rubicon

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 07:47:10 PM »
Sounds good...could it have been frozen with ice? 

A little flush and some fresh lube should work wonders....

Offline Biotex

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »
It was 67�F out the day I last tried, but it wasn't that late in the day so I think you have figured it out. I'll bet the thermal mass of all the gears insulated the ice enough that it was still frozen.

I couldn't believe that the water had pushed all the oil out.

I feel a lot better about my chances of saving the old girl, I can tell you that...
1950 CJ3A
1990 Comanche
2006 Rubicon

Offline ZekeD

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 09:20:48 PM »
Le bon chance!

I think that is French for Good Luck!   Why French?  I dunno. :-*

Zeke
The most affectionate thing in the world is a wet dog.