The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: puel pump and distrib. not functioning  (Read 9576 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline terryb

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« on: November 15, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »
hello gentlemen, I experienced a problem with my '51cj3a today. I took it for a drive after doing some steering repairs, I got about 1/8 mile down the road and it quit on me. after cranking it over for a few sec. I noticed no fuel in the fuel pump sight glass. I assumed it was out so I dumped in 3 gals. and still no good. towed it home and after some investigating found the fuel pump not pumping and the distributor not turning. i have gone any further yet.  was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. im hoping its just a sheared key on the cam. 
thank you for any and all possibilities
terry b.
terryb

Offline SteveW

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 457
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »
Both run off of the camshaft. It doesn't sound good.You can take off your valve cover and see if camshaft is turning. The oil pump and distributor are linked but the fuel pump has it's own lobe on the camshaft
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:40:53 PM by Googly_Moogly »
1950 CJ3A finished. 1950 CJ3A in pieces. 1947 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Scooter 50 series

Offline scoutpilot

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 291
  • Karma: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »
Quote
after some investigating found the fuel pump not pumping and the distributor not turning.
terry b.

Pull your dip stick and smell your oil. Pump diaphragm has possibly failed dumping fuel into your oil. Distributor runs directly off oil pump. Gasoline-diluted oil does not lubricate very well at all. Oil pump may have seized. Just got through with the fix for this. Another fuel pump and another oil pump. I replaced my distributor while I was at it.[/b]
Old fashioned service never goes out of style.
http: // www.oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net

Offline terryb

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:07:54 AM »
thanks guys,  i'll check these out...
terryb

Offline terryb

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:42:42 AM »
thanks for the replies, Steve and Scoutpilot. I was finely able to tear into the jeep today, I pulled the line off the fuel pump and it was pumping fuel. I pulled the distributor and it seems ok. I pulled the oil pump out and its missing 3 teeth on the gear.   not sure where to go from here.   any suggestions as why this happened. I cannot turn the pump gear and don't know why it would have locked up and sheared off the teeth. the fuel pump and distributor are new parts. the oil pump is the original pump. I guess I will have to pull the pan to retrieve the teeth. im hoping the teeth on the cam are ok.
thanks again for all replies
terryb

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »
Can you post a picture of the oil pump? There has been issues with new ones locking up. I'm wondering if it is a new one or original.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline terryb

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »
sorry but im not good at posting pic. as far as I know this is the original pump. the pump has 2 gears inside that run side by side. after taking off the end cover, every thing is free but still wondering why this happened.
terryb

Offline scoutpilot

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 291
  • Karma: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »
It is an older pump and likely the original. Do you recall how much oil pressure was indicated at the time of failure? Did you smell your oil? How long was it between this last run and the previous run? Had the pump been off the motor at any time prior to this last run?
Old fashioned service never goes out of style.
http: // www.oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net

Offline terryb

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »
I didn't notice the oil pressure when this happened. I had just finished some steering part replacements and took it down the road. the pump has been on since the motor was rebuilt. oil is fairly fresh and at full mark. I have taken about 2 dozen short trips in my jeep since the rebuild.
thanks guys
terryb

Offline SteveW

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 457
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »
Did you remove valve cover and see if camshaft is turning? If it is then hopefully the hardness of the camshaft won out over the oil pump and a new pump may be the solution to it although not sure about fuel pump going empty before and not now.
1950 CJ3A finished. 1950 CJ3A in pieces. 1947 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Scooter 50 series

Offline terryb

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
hi Steve, took your advice and removed the valve cover and the cam seems to be ok. the valves are working up and down.
my next step will be a new oil pump from Walcks. It will probably be a week or so before I get one and get it installed.   I do appreciate all the advice and answers I get on the forum. it makes it a lot easier for a guy like me to where I am with this old willys. :) :) :)
terryb

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
Before you place that order take a really good look with a flashlight at the gear teeth on the camshaft and make sure there isn't any damage you might have missed. Hopefully the cam is OK and just an oil pump will fix the problem.
When you do install the oil pump make sure there is adequate end clearance so it doesn't seize up and cause a similar issue. Also might be a good idea to pull the pickup tube and screen and make sure they are clean.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »
Quote
sorry but im not good at posting pic. as far as I know this is the original pump. the pump has 2 gears inside that run side by side. after taking off the end cover, every thing is free but still wondering why this happened.

2 gears side by side sound like a new style one. The original would have had one gear inside the other. I'll post some pictures later on.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
According to the manual the "old" style pump before engine #44417 had the pressure relief in the pump cover, and the "new" pump has it in the body of the pump. But my new-this-year pump has the relief valve in the cap/cover, but no drain plug/cover plug as in the old-old pumps..

Perfectly clear...

Why Willys, Why?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:55:49 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: puel pump and distrib. not functioning
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 08:12:55 PM »
Here you guys go. Everything you wanted to know about oil pumps.

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1384909829
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted