The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: New Springs Installation Issues  (Read 5664 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

New Springs Installation Issues
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »
I started to put my new springs on last night and was having one heck of a time with the front springs and the "U" shaped shackle. I had to use a screw driver to pry the loop on the spring open wide enough to get the threaded shackle in the loop end. A little sanding and a little grease helped but when I got to the rear springs the loop was just too tight for the threaded shackle. I know that one end is different and will accept the brass bushing for the pivot bolt.

Any suggestions on reaming out the spring loop to accept the threaded shackle? I thought about running a hone to increase the ID but did not want to proceed until a better idea came across.

Thanks,

George
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: New Springs Installation Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
Oh great.� Sounds like I'm in for the same fight.�

Are the shackles new also?� If so, do they fit in the frame mounts?

The hone might take some time, but that's sounds like a good idea. A cylinder shaped grinder head on a drill or die grinder sort of popped into my head after reading your post.� This may remove more material faster, but may be more difficult to keep it the right shape.

Tim�

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline garage gnome

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »
When I put new springs on my '53 several years ago, I noticed that it was a tight fit. The shackle should have some threads protruding out of the end of the spring, just enough so you can screw the other piece on. I cranked mine in by hand a couple turns and then blasted them in the rest of the way with an air gun. It should be a very tight fit there.

I would not modify it in anyway. When you put the piece in with the grease fitting, back it off a half to 1 turn. The way these shackles work is, one half is left hand thread and the other is right. So when the spring is compressed, the shackle either tightens or loosens slightly. That is why there needs to be a tight fit between the spring and the outer piece.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
The shackles are new as well. I took a peek at the CJ2A page and it sounds like installing new hardware (U) and leaf springs can be really tight. The pivot bolt bronze bushing went in tight but a little persuasion from a hammer (bronze bushing protected from damage) did the trick. It took a little effort to get the new springs in the spring hanger as well and this may be a result of the width of the spring being a little larger than the original leaf springs. Seems a thought I am having more issues on the rear than the front. I should add that I installed new spring hangers on the rear so there may be an issue with the inside width being a little undersize. I would think that a tight fit is better anyway.

I may try to get one of my buddies to help me out with the rear spring installation next week. I think I still have a couple of Shiner beers left :)
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
My U shackles were very difficult to install as well. I think that by the time I got them in some of the outer threads had been shaved off. I don't know if it's the fault of the springs or the repro U shackles. For mine a 7/8" wrench wouldn't quite fit..they might be metric....possibly one of the most frustrating things that I did during the rebuild.

The Walck's springs were easier to work with. Still tight but manageable. The shackles were still just a bit larger than 7/8" though. They probably all come from Mahindra...
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Gunslinger

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 07:43:46 PM »
possibly one of the most frustrating things that I did during the rebuild.

Here, here to that Brother!!

Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline johnrb3b

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:57:06 AM »
I put a comment in the "Leaf Spring Repros" thread.
I'll put similar info here.

First a question.
Are all the springs being refered to as "difficult to install" Omix-Ada parts?

I bought my springs, U-shackles and bolts from Walk's and the whole thing bolted together with NO problems. Piece of cake. Carl told me his springs were US made.

I'm getting the feeling from multiple threads on all the old Willys forums, that the Omix springs are a poor option.
Anybody have experience to oppose that?

Meanwhile, my suggestion is to talk to Carl Walk or Alcan Spring.
Even if more expensive, in the long run, you'll get a better product that's easier to install. And Alcan will custom build to your payload requirements for not much more money.
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline Ryan_M

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »
Looks like we have two similar threads forming about these springs. Here's my double-post:

My OMIX springs as purchased from Kaiser Willys were not that difficult to replace. They were one of the first things I did and being ultra-green at this stuff at the time any problem would have been a huge challenge. As far as I remember they just bolted right up. I did replace the shackles too so maybe that helped?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:58:45 AM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:25:11 AM »
I put a comment in the "Leaf Spring Repros" thread.
I'll put similar info here.

First a question.
Are all the springs being refered to as "difficult to install" Omix-Ada parts?

I bought my springs, U-shackles and bolts from Walk's and the whole thing bolted together with NO problems. Piece of cake. Carl told me his springs were US made.

I'm getting the feeling from multiple threads on all the old Willys forums, that the Omix springs are a poor option.
Anybody have experience to oppose that?

Meanwhile, my suggestion is to talk to Carl Walk or Alcan Spring.
Even if more expensive, in the long run, you'll get a better product that's easier to install. And Alcan will custom build to your payload requirements for not much more money.

I put a set of four Walck's spring packs on my CJ-5. They went on fine and work great.

The set of four spring packs on the 3A were from Kaiser-Willys in their "Master rebuilt" suspension kit. Crown automotive springs...really difficult to install the U bolt shackles and pretty stiff.

KW may source their springs from different suppliers depending on where you live. With free shipping offered it's in their interest to find the nearest supplier. Mine came from Reno/Sparks Nevada, about 400 miles away...
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 11:07:24 AM »
When I put new springs on my '53 several years ago, I noticed that it was a tight fit. The shackle should have some threads protruding out of the end of the spring, just enough so you can screw the other piece on. I cranked mine in by hand a couple turns and then blasted them in the rest of the way with an air gun. It should be a very tight fit there.

I would not modify it in anyway. When you put the piece in with the grease fitting, back it off a half to 1 turn. The way these shackles work is, one half is left hand thread and the other is right. So when the spring is compressed, the shackle either tightens or loosens slightly. That is why there needs to be a tight fit between the spring and the outer piece.

GG - you were right on about getting the shackle thread started. Although the U bolt shackles were a little tight they did go on with a little persuasion. I tried to put a little weight up and down on the frame and the articulation of the bolts looked correct (the left and right thread configuration). I was just a little apprehensive about using so much elbow grease! I don't have an impact wrench but I hope Santa brings me one for XMAS.

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »
Nice.  I too am close to trying this mount up.

I like your cart too.  I don't even want to show what I came up with. :-[

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »
I originally had this on 2 furniture dollies that I got from Harbor Freight but that did not work so well -
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"