The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Front axle oil seals  (Read 1903 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Front axle oil seals
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
The "Parts List" book I have has a different diagram (of the front axle) in it from the "Service Manual", and (as happens far too often), I didn't take enough notes/pictures when disassembling...

One of the books shows an oil seal at the differential end of the tube, and the other shows a seal at the hub end of the tube.  But both only show one seal.

My memory is that I pulled seals from the differential end of the tube, and NOT from the outboard end of the tube.  (There was a seal on the hub, just inboard of the bearings, though.) 

So, the hub part with the bearings will be filled with grease, kept in by the seal inboard of the bearings.  The differential will be filled with the oil that goes in there, kept in place by the seals just outboard of the carrier bearings.  Everything in between--the axle tubes out to the knuckles, including the space inside the spherical part of the knuckle (and presumably the king pin bearings too?) will be filled with the oil that goes in the knuckle through its fill port.

Does that sound right?

Note that this is a Dana 25 axle with Rzeppa shafts, and as far as I know is original (1949).

Thanks,

-Paul

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Front axle oil seals
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »
Yep.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Front axle oil seals
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:19:20 PM »
Quote
Yep.


Nice concise answer!  Thanks.

-Paul

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Front axle oil seals
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »
Quote
Everything in between--the axle tubes out to the knuckles, including the space inside the spherical part of the knuckle (and presumably the king pin bearings too?) will be filled with the oil that goes in the knuckle through its fill port.

Oil will leak out of the knuckle seals, so this area requires something thicker. Grease is easier to install before the spindle is bolted up rather than through the plug. There is a lot of debate about what is best here. Personally I use what the service manual recommends.
Bob W

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Front axle oil seals
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:51:25 PM »
My service manual says "universal joint lubricant".  That seems to be something like grease.  But the bearings are to be lubed with "wheel bearing lubricant".  I presume there's a difference between those...

I know there's been lots written on this, and I'll be reading as much of it as I can before the time comes to fill them up!

-Paul

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Front axle oil seals
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:39:24 PM »
I use a product called Corn Head Grease sold at John Deere stores. It's a thick oil/grease and I filled the steering knuckle with it.