The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Reusing bearings  (Read 3155 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Reusing bearings
« on: August 17, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »
So I'm going through all the bearings in my 25 front and 41 rear axles, deciding which to keep and which to replace.  I wondering what criteria you use to decide this.  Are there any general guidelines?

On my first pass, I'm rejecting a lot of bearings (cups and cones) from the 25, but keeping most from the 41. (I wonder if the 41 has had this done before...)  If I can keep a few more, it would help my wallet.  But if they do need to be replaced, I certainly don't mind the cost.

Thanks,

-Paul

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Reusing bearings
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 01:26:24 AM »
The way I judge replacement is if the rollers are pitted and the cone has brinelling on it. Brinellins is pitted lines that run the same direction the rollers lay on the cone. If there are only marks like the bearing in your other post use the bearing again. actual pits that you can feel in the cone or under the rollers on the inner race. Yes, you have to look under the rollers and it's not easy. Sometimes the rollers look ok but the race is pitted.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Reusing bearings
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:16:55 PM »
Okay, So I have selected for replacement the following:

From the 41 Rear:
1 shaft cone
1 shaft cup
1 carrier cone
2 carrier cups

From the 25 front:
2 carrier cones
2 carrier cups
2 pinion cones
2 pinion cups
4 king pin cones
2 king pin cups (the upper one from each side)

The pictures below show parts of all of these:
41 Carrier Cone


41 Carrier Cup(s)


41 Shaft Cone

41 Shaft Cup


25 King Pin Cone(s)




25 King Pin Cup(s)



25 Pinion Cup


25 Pinion Cone(s)



25 Carrier Cone


25 Carrier Cup(s)



The ones I haven't chosen to replace all look good, and feel smooth.� I haven't been able to look at the inner races, though.

Any comments on any of these?

-Paul

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reusing bearings
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:27 AM »
Your selection process seems good to me but I'd recommend replacing both the cup and cone on any bearing that looks questionable.
Bob W

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Reusing bearings
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »
Good point Bob, I always do that and just forgot to mention that fact.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Reusing bearings
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:51:18 AM »
I was wondering if I should do that.  Especially if the cup is the one that's bad (since it's harder to properly inspect the cone). 

But if the cup looks and feels good, do you think it needs to be replaced when the cone is bad?

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reusing bearings
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »
It would probably be okay to reuse the cup.... but generally cups and cones are replaced as pairs. New bearings may not be happy riding on surfaces with wear patterns set up by other bearings.
Bob W

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Reusing bearings
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »
Okay then.  Since I'll probably be ordering a full brake overhaul kit, plus springs, shocks, and shackles, in addition to all the seals and gaskets in the axles/knuckles, and the bearings listed, a few more bearings will be a small increase overall...

A frame-up rebuild is not a cheap project!  (And I'm still cringing about the thought of the cost of a new body.  But that's likely over a year in the future at my current rate of progress.)  My wife asked me the other day why I didn't just buy a new Jeep.

-Paul

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Reusing bearings
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 12:22:19 PM »
Welcome to the club!

I could have bought a fully restored jeep for what I have in the '51.....and it's not done yet....

But what fun is that?
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Reusing bearings
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 12:50:26 PM »
Quote
I could have bought a fully restored jeep for what I have in the '51.....and it's not done yet....
Please don't bring up the money.....
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline Matto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 361
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reusing bearings
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 08:33:49 PM »
I was always taught to keep cups and cones as sets and replace cups and cones as sets. Of course Fafnir Bearing Company was located in the town I grew up in. Their doors have been closed 20 years now.� :(

� Very nice detailed close up pictures by the way.
My $.02

1949 CJ3A project,1954 CJ3B weekend driver,2012 JK Rubicon DD and weekend trail rig,2016 Ford F350 for dragging cool stuff home :)