The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: To restore or not  (Read 5862 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Heimbig

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
To restore or not
« on: August 16, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »
I have a 1952 CJ3A that I purchased from the 2nd owner.  The motor was shot but the paint was original.  A college in Calif. had owned it and over the years they added safety items like a back up light and several mobile antennas.  I have not completely restored the frame and running gear to original and I am wondering what to do with the body.  It is straight with zero rust.

Looking for opinions should I remove some of the items and fill the holes or leave them there.  I am not planning on repainting the body at this time.

Thanks

Mike

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »
A picture would help us to give you our opinion and anyway we are fan of pictures ....

You may want to read this thread;

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1360037699/319#319

Might give you an idea of what is possible or not. Its always depend on your skills also.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:25:27 PM by QuebecJeep »
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Heimbig

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:06:14 PM »
I have a couple of photos but I am unsure how to load them on this page.

Mike

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »
Heimbig,
The easiest way to post a single photo is the use the "Browse..." feature just below the box that you type in when posting.  Push the browse button.  This should take you to your computer documents and photos. 
 
If you want multiple photos in one posting, it's easier to post your photos in a site like PhotoBucket, then copy and paste them here in your post.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 08:05:35 PM »
I think I would leave the body the way it is, but pics would help.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline stony

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:59:14 PM »
I am planning on preserving mine as best I can, after all it is only original once! ;)
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time”.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 10:44:33 PM »
Quote
I am planning on preserving mine as best I can, after all it is only original once! ;)


I agree....if the holes you mentioned are just bolt holes then put a short bolt or machine screw in them....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Heimbig

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »
when I try the browse and try to load the photo it comes up with a forbidden error

Offline Heimbig

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »
I wish mine had looked that good when I bought it....

How are the floors?

If it were mine, i would take off all the accessories that I didn't want, get some round headed machine screws, paint them black or use brass black to darken them, and put them in all the empty mounting holes...

There is a blanking plate for the M-38 that is used to cover the trailer wiring socket, you could use one of those or something similar in the big holes....

I like your jeep!!

When i was a kid you could buy an aftermarket diamond plate bumper for different vehicles..I think it was called a Bardon (sp?) Bumper...it may have been a local supplier, but your bumper sure looks like a Bardon...!

Randy
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:14:31 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Heimbig

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 01:58:12 PM »
the floors are perfect, I have an original passenger side tail light that I may put on for safety and the move the reflector to cover the hole where the backup light was drilled.

Offline stony

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
I would not touch it!!!!   Some wild funky seat covers would look great!
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time”.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »
Do I see an overdrive lever?
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Heimbig

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
yes it has an overdrive

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 11:56:55 PM »
Heimbig,
What's the serial number of your Jeep?  Mine had original paint when I purchased it from its second owner, too.  I see some things in your photos that make me curious.
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah