The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Pulling hubs  (Read 7061 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling hubs
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
Just popped out to the lab in the back where I work.  There was a nice 8" diameter, 3/4" thick slice off the end of some round bar stock sitting on the scrap pile.  The lab manager said he's not allowed to give anything away, but nobody would miss that piece.  ;)

-Paul

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling hubs
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
It will be interesting to see if it will work..

How will you cut the center hole?

I would double check your wheel studs and make sure they are long enough for you to fit the 3/4" ring and the nuts, and then allow you to get the puller hooked behind...
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling hubs
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
I thought I'd try to drill/tap the hole to use the same bolt that the puller uses, so I wouldn't need the three jaws at all.  But that bolt is 11/16-18, and I don't really want to bother trying to obtain that tap right now.  (Funny, though, 'cause that's the second time in the last five years I've said that...) 

My second thought was to drill it just large enough for the puller's bolt to slide through, and then tap it to a larger size at some later date (and obtain a bolt of the correct size).

But now that you mention it, I don't think that's going to work either, due to the clearance.  I think the centre hole is going to have to be large enough for the axle and nut to fit inside. (I will have to check.) Is that too much for a hole saw to cut?

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling hubs
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
Is the metal disc you have just mild steel?� You might get through with a hole saw, but I'm thinking you might need to wear out a couple (maybe three) blades...

Do any of the auto parts stores near you have a tool lending/renting program? A couple of the chains like O'reillys lends tools....and how about an equipment rental place? The local one where I rent the engine hoist has pullers....

Pawn shops are a good place to look for used tools....

Good luck..

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:04:35 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling hubs
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 03:41:52 PM »
I'll find out if it's mild or not when I start drilling.  I have to drill the five bolt holes in addition to cutting the centre hole...

Considering the source (the scrap pile where I work), there's a possibility it's not mild, but something like 4140.  If so, I may be buying a whole bunch of drill bits as well as hole saws.

The idea of buying/borrowing/renting a puller starts to look more attractive, but there's something to be said for making one's own tools...

Offline ZekeD

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 218
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling hubs
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »
Thanks, Paul.....   That makes sense.     How are you doing with it?

Zeke
The most affectionate thing in the world is a wet dog.

Offline p3ferris

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 249
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling hubs
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:41:43 PM by p3ferris »

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling hubs
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 11:58:25 AM »
So, I built the metal ring to be able to pull on all five bolts.  Silly me, I made the centre hole big enough to go over a front hub, not realizing I wouldn't need a puller on the front...  (A single hole saw actually did the job.)

Works well, in that I can pull really hard on it with my three jaw puller, without distorting the hub (the way I did when I used the 3 jaw puller directly.

But I still can't get the danged hubs off that old D44.  (They popped nicely off the D41, though.)  I was tightening the puller by standing on it, and still nothing.

So then I thought I could pull the axle shafts so maybe I could press the hubs off.  Pulled the six bolts (on each side) that should hold the axles in (with the brake plate).  And nothing.  The axle shafts just won't come out.  They shift back and forth a millimetre or so, but the won't come out.  The ones on the D41--as well as the front shafts on the D25 and D27--just slid right out, with no force at all.  What could be holding them in, and what can I do about it?  If there's a C clip somewhere, I sure can't see it.  (The D44 has a Powr Lok in it, if that makes a difference.)

-Paul

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling hubs
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 03:15:30 PM »
Well, I finally gave up and took the axle to an auto shop.

The axle shafts popped out quite easily with the big slide hammer.  (I had considered buying one, but figured for one job it wouldn't be worth it.)

The hubs are a different story.  The shop I went to didn't have one of the heavy duty pullers--and ended up stripping the threads on the puller they did have!

So, instead, they torched off the outer bearing races off the axles so at least we could get the brake backing plates off.  (Those were the parts that I most wanted off that D44.)  I will still put the axle shafts/hubs in my 20 ton press later to see if I can get the hubs off, though.  With the axle shafts out, I should be able to get some penetrant into both sides, and let it sit for a few days first...

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling hubs
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 10:08:52 AM »
Finally got those hubs loose yesterday.  Soaked the joints in ATF/Acetone for about a week, and then used a 20 ton shop press.  I had to bear down on the jack handle with a good bit of force on the last couple strokes, so I'm guessing I was getting close to the 20 ton mark...  When they came loose, it was like a gun going off.

-Paul