The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Attaching the shroud to the Radiator  (Read 1618 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Attaching the shroud to the Radiator
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
My cousin's brother-in-law who's name is Bubba has asked me to ask you for advice.
 After having pressure tested, cleaned, and painted the only reusable part on his 3A rebuild he attached the shroud to the radiator placing three 3/8" long sheet metal screws through the existing holes in each side.
 Faster then you can say four hundred and fifty dollars he learned all six screws had pierced the core. Not wanting to repeat the same stupid (and costly) mistake Bubba has asked me, to ask you how and where the shroud should be attached to the radiator?
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Attaching the shroud to the Radiator
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:41:36 AM »
The screws are pretty short, like 1/4-3/16" long.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Attaching the shroud to the Radiator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »
There are pictures of the screws on this page...

http://cj3apage.com/forum-yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1362092205/3#3

Did they re-core your...oops.....Bubba's radiator?
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: Attaching the shroud to the Radiator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »
I just put my fan shroud back on this weekend and I used 3/8" screws according to what was called for in the parts list.  The only difference was the screws I FINALLY found at Home Depot (I live in a small town and no one else had screws this short) was pan head screws.  I haven't filled my radiator up yet, but they didn't seem to bite into the core.........

I guess I'll find out this week when I fill it up!  :o

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Attaching the shroud to the Radiator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:38:08 AM »
Thanks guys, the correct screw is the one 1955-cj has the picture of, the length cannot be more then 3/8", 1/4 would be the safe choice.
I re-measured mine (I mean Bubba's) last night and it was 7/16". That was a $455.22 mistake (had to have it recored) that I will not soon forget.
Macrisel you may be safe by 1/16 of an inch, or not....

One more bit of education on radiator installation, tighten the hose clamps lightly and re-tighten them if you have a leak. The top and bottom ports on these old radiators crush or warp very easy.
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC