The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Sparton turn signal switch  (Read 11316 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Sparton turn signal switch
« on: February 25, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »
Does anyone have any data and wiring diagram for a Sparton turn signal switch?

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:24:44 PM »
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:50:57 PM »
Thats the one I used to wire the one in on my '49. You can also figure it out by ringing the wires out with a meter. I did that with the one on my '53.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »
Well, the switched is alleged to be bad so I have to take it apart and repair it so I guess I will have to ring out the wires and make my own wiring diagram. I just hope I can fix the switch contacts. It's not that I really want a turn signal on my Jeep, I may have to put one on to keep the traffic and cops off my butt.

Offline p3ferris

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 249
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »
Actually that is a different brand from the Sparton but the switch may be wired the same. I will print that out and check it against mine. The Sparton turn signal has a rubber wheel that rubs against the steering wheel to automatically turn the switch off after the turn is made.

About a year ago someone was going to throw it away and I asked if I could have it. Driving around in the Jeep with the top and doors on I decided it's time to put turn signals on the Jeep. I don't really want to but I may have * the county sheriff off and may need to have turn signals unless I open the door and hang my arm outside. I'm not exactly excited about hanging my arm out with the door flapping around.

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:49:32 PM »
Now Carl, I can't imagine that you went and irritated a law enforcement officer!  That sounds like a story we need to hear !
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Jesse

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:28:32 PM »
Hmm you know I think there was a thing on the Painless wiring website about wiring that stuff up but now I can't find it. Maybe it was in the manual? Could be worth investigating.

I had some strange period looking switch and one with the cancel wheel that was all busted up. Pretty much handed my dad the good one and said "Make it so" I guess that means I don't have any valid advice on this.  ::)

But it shouldn't be hard, don't they just have the two hots for each side coming in and then the switch grounds them out? Maybe you could even use a toggle switch to do that sort of thing instead of the lever on the column.

-Jesse
Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »
I just find out that I have the "same" switch on my DJ-6 1965.

Does yours look like mine?

Sparton with a green light on top



Model 308? -3R. I though the picture was better.

I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 01:20:50 PM »
Yes, that's the same as my switch. Do you have a wiring diagram for it? It's been a little to cold to play with it in the shop lately and I hate to turn the heat on unless really needed.

Gunslinger, our fiscal court judge operates just like Boss Hog and the sheriff is just like Roscoe P. Coletrane. In fact they both look much like their counterparts in the Dukes of Hazard shows. It's a real long story and I and most the county are trying to get a felony charge against them over a 250 foot antenna that was installed against code without a permit and not allowed to be inspected by the county and state inspectors. Actually the county attorney, fiscal judge and sheriff all have a part in this atrocity. Things may get a little hot around here. One of the problems is I know these people and have called them friends. The antenna issue is not the only thing they have done with wild abandon to law and no approval of the fiscal court magistrates.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:22:16 PM by Carlsjeep »

Offline Howitser

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 28
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Yep, Frankenjeep !
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »
CYA brother, they doesn't sound like "friends". � � ;)

Thanks guys, for all the info on the Signal-Stat units. �Mine is on the list for rebuild.....as is everything else still waiting.
Howie

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 10:34:41 AM »
OK,

Go check this link,

http://www.jeep-trucks.com/index.php?page=guide&group=electrical&part=turn_signal&action=spartan&step=1

Seems to be a good guide on how to rebuilt a sparton switch.

Does it help?
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 11:01:32 AM »
Wow,that guy has a lot of good stuff on his site, especially his headlight switch rebuild. Does anyone know how to get hold of David H, the webmaster of that site to see if he'd mind us linking to his articles? (or hosting our own versions?)

Great link, Pascal.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »
Quote
Does anyone know how to get hold of David H, the webmaster of that site to see if he'd mind us linking to his articles? (or hosting our own versions?)

Try(Removed for privacy)....Thank you Bob, I got it written down.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:19:17 PM by F_Bill »
Bob W

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Sparton turn signal switch
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »
Thanks Quebecjeep, you can ignore my PM request. The only thing I would like to have is a wiring diagram for the Sparton turn sig switch. It's not like I couldn't try to figure it out but the diagram would make it easy. I am hoping I can get this turn sig device working because I like the way it works.