The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by step)  (Read 5465 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Macgraham

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 187
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by step)
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
http://This link could be helpful to some who don't know about it yet. I rebuilt my D18 with this info. Photos make it alot easier for me. You can click on Previous or next and it shows more component rebuilds and installations.

http://thisoldjeep.fr.yuku.com/topic/248
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:20:47 AM by F_Bill »

Offline p3ferris

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 249
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: A good source
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:58 AM »
Thanks I will pass it on to othere when they need it.    it is a nice rebuild guide

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:25:42 AM »
I edited your title to make it easier to find in a search. Thanks for posting that.. I think Doug did equally as good a job as Rick Stiver did, and perhaps we need to ask his permission to host his pictures over here for posterity. If anyone is a member over there and wants to ask the author of that thread if we can host our own copy of his pics and writeup, please do.

This is the sort of post we need to fill up our FAQ section and make it the go to place on the web for jeep technical stuff.

Macgraham, I appreciate your taking the time to alert us to this fantastic nugget of info!
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:04:25 PM »
Doug lives just across town....I'll send him a link to this thread...he has a similar thread for the transmission..

You should see the slide hammer puller for pulling axles he made from ready-rod and a sledge hammer head....!

Randy
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:06:34 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:46:38 PM »
Randy tell him we will throw in a free membership to the 3a page to sweeten the deal.. ;D I'm guessing he already is a member or former member from the old site.

Anyhow, I appreciate you getting hold of him. For a while there we were the only place on the web you could find Rick's tranny guide as Jonathan had actually copied it to the site instead of just linking as the other sites had done. We'd like to do the same with his excellent pictorial.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Doug_3B

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 79
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
A free membership to a flatty forum???? �SOLD!!! � ;D

I have been a member for a couple years, but this is only my second post apparently. �I try not to stink up the 3A Page forum with my 3B stuff �;)

I'm glad that my pics have helped some people out. �It was a lot of fun rebuilding both the T-90 and D-18. �It was also fun doing the write ups. �

Absolutely use my write up and/or pictures here on the 3A Page - just make sure people also follow Rick's guide. �I'm pretty sure I didn't include everything in my write up that Rick covers in his.
-Doug
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T90C/D18, OD, D27/44, alternator
1991 YJ - 4.0, AX-15, D-30 front, Ford 8.8 rear, 4-inch lift

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:22:45 PM »
Hi Doug!!  I just finished reading your 3B build write up.. That was also very well done. I think we are going to have to all chip in and buy you a 3A so you can do a similar writeup on it. How is your new rebuilt engine working out for you??

I am going to have to get one of our web gurus to figure out how to put your writeup
on a new webpage in our tech tip area. Right next to Ricks rebuild guide,with links from one to the other as you suggest.

Much thanks and kudos for a very well done article.  
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
I can do something to have it on the site. Will be great.
Give me time.
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 11:08:54 AM »
Thanks, Quebecjeep! �Whenever you get time.. We need to get it as a webpage using Doug H's content. And somehow provide a link right at the top to Rick's guide which we laready have, and do the same on the page where RIck's guide is. No rush, if you can get it done by noon that would be great. �;D ;D 8-) (I'm kidding, whenever you do it will be awesome..)

Doug, do you want us to acknowledge you as Doug H or do you want to use a last name and specific location ? (It's your chance to be as famous as Rick!!)

In case anyone doesn't know Rick passed away a while back and his rebuild guide is posted here with permission. I don't remember if Jonathan asked the family or if Rick gave him the rights to post it before he passed away but it was done properly .In fact all of the stuff on the 3A page that was originally located at other websites has been used with appropriate permission. I made sure of that before the buyout. . We always want to name our sources for stuff like this. We jeepers are blessed to live in an age where such information flows freely and is available to all who look for it. Just a few decades ago it would have taken a long time to find most of this info, if those in the know would take the time to share with you.

By the way... there are also some video guides to smaller tasks at the Walck's website. Carl and the boys have been busy filming new videos and if you haven't been there it is worth a visit. If you are a member of Youtube �you can leave comments and say thanks too.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:50:37 PM by F_Bill »
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:09:55 AM »
I almost forgot.. Doug, do you have a link to your tranny rebuild?
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »
Ok I did it very quickly.
I'm open to critics.



« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:36:13 PM by QuebecJeep »
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Doug_3B

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 79
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »
F Bill - thank you for looking through my build thread. �I am in no hurry to take on another project! �I've had my jeep on the road since 2009 and kind of considered it "done" but almost always have some sort of project going on with it. �Plus, I was offered a 1969 Bronco for a price I couldn't resist, so now that is sitting here waiting for me �:) �I wouldn't rule out picking up another flat fender at some point down the line.

My rebuilt engine is purring along just fine so far; I'm really very happy with it. �I still only have a little over 100 miles on the rebuild. �

I didn't know about Rick, either. �What a shame - I can't begin to imagine how many people he's helped with his rebuild guides.

Here are the other links to the T-90 and D-18 write ups:

T-90 teardown: �http://thisoldjeep.fr.yuku.com/topic/210/T90-Disassembly#.USbOl46LE20
T-90 reassembly: �http://thisoldjeep.fr.yuku.com/topic/225/T90-Assembly#.USbOuo6LE20
D-18 teardown: �http://thisoldjeep.fr.yuku.com/topic/220/D18-Transfer-Case-Disassembly#.USbO846LE20
-Doug
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T90C/D18, OD, D27/44, alternator
1991 YJ - 4.0, AX-15, D-30 front, Ford 8.8 rear, 4-inch lift

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 05:57:29 AM »
Hey Doug!!!
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Doug_3B

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 79
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 05:59:16 PM »
Quote
Hey Doug!!!

What's happening Nate!!?
-Doug
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T90C/D18, OD, D27/44, alternator
1991 YJ - 4.0, AX-15, D-30 front, Ford 8.8 rear, 4-inch lift

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »
I'll PM you.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted