The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Grade 8 Bolts  (Read 1987 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Grade 8 Bolts
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
I sheared off a bolt at the exhaust pipe to manifold position.  I was able to drill it out and re-tap it.

40 years from now when the next owner is trying to replace the exhaust, am I doing him a favor by using Grade 8 bolts and nuts???

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Grade 8 Bolts
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
Rust is rust. It will still stick. Best thing is stainless or brass.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Grade 8 Bolts
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 06:34:26 PM »
Yeah, I figured that.  But with a stronger bolt, will he have a better chance of it staying in one piece till he gets it free?
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Grade 8 Bolts
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:40:25 PM »
Just took apart my 10 year old Ford, with plated steel nuts on hardened studs. Had to heat things up with the torch to get it apart after 370,000 miles. I rethreaded and installed new nuts, had the bolts been new as well instead of slightly worn originals I might have used some never seez. �The new nuts were a loose fit so I didn't do it.

Pretty much anything used in that application will eventually rust up and seize up. If it is a nut and bolt it is no big deal to break or torch it off, but a stud is a different matter. Use brass nuts like Nate said on the stud if you can..I would prefer a stud with a brass nut over a bolt threaded in tight, as chances are that bolt WILL break upon removal like yours.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:42:18 PM by F_Bill »
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline p3ferris

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 249
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Grade 8 Bolts
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:20:02 PM »
Actually I was pretty fortunate with my  2A , every bolt, I mean every bolt  that I took out, came out without any problem.  It had not been touched since 53.

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Grade 8 Bolts
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 01:22:13 PM »


40 years from now when the next owner is trying to replace the exhaust, am I doing him a favor by using Grade 8 bolts and nuts???

Tim[/quote]

Are you worried you might know him?
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Grade 8 Bolts
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »
Very good Guns.... Your a bit sharper today.
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Grade 8 Bolts
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 11:08:57 PM »
Quote



Are you worried you might know him?


Very funny Gun!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A