The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Which to use?  (Read 2138 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Stack_O_Lee

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 23
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Which to use?
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:58:16 AM »
The cleaner newer looking Carter YF is probably what I'm going to reuse/rebuild. �It came bolted on the replacement engine I have, and so I assume it was dropped in as a unit. �The original Carter WO was still hooked up to the throttle linkage and was laying on top of the head of the new motor. �

This is the way I got the two carbs.


The WO is on the left, and the YF is on the right (it's much cleaner)






also, since I plan on using the YF, I assume I should keep the manifold that it came bolted on. �I think I have the original manifolds, but there's no sense in using them?????????

These are the manifolds that came bolted to the replacement motor, that also had the YF carb on them.


and these came with a bunch of extra parts I got with the Jeep (I assume these are the original manifolds that came off the 1950 engine.)


Is there any reason not to use all of the newer stuff other than it's not stock?
Could either unit be used in a mix and match fashion? �Either combination of carb with either combination of manifolds?
Is one significantly easier to work on/rebuild?



Thanks,
Josh. �

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Which to use?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:10:49 AM »
I would use the stock WO only because all the jets are under external plugs (except for the high speed one), so if you have a problem with one plugging up, you can easily clean them. My '49 usually has the idle jet plug up.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Which to use?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:25:35 AM »
Stack,
I believe...(not 100% sure) that the Willys DJ used the YF and that manifold on the L-134. �I see no reason why you shouldn't use them.

The only other complication will be the throttle and choke linkage. �They are clearly different. �If you have this componentry, I think you're good to go. �

F Bill, knows lots about the DJ. �I'm sure he'll chime in once we get him out of bed.

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Which to use?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:00:12 AM »
<<<<yawns........


Did someone call my name?? �:D


Umm.. the major problem with using that YF is you need to use the DJ specific throttle linkage for it. You probably already noticed the fact that the carb has been rotaated 90 degrees to the normal 3A location.
 There is a bellcrank thing on the DJ that converts the back and forth motion from the gas pedal �to a left right motion to run your YF. � The YF carb may or may not have the same base pattern as the WO, so you might not be able to install it on the 3A manifold you have. Possibly a little hole modifying would make it work, but �I don't have a carb in fromt of me to check...You, however, do have everything you need right in front of ya. Can you let us know if the bolt pattern is close enough to do that?

Scoutpilot would be a good guy to send whichever carb you decide on off to...From what I hear he does good work.
 
 ï¿½ � �It appears that your replaced engine is a DJ version as it has the small DJ oil filler. What is its serial number �(stamped behind the water pump on the top of the block ?) I am also curious what head is on the motor...can you get the casting numbers and any other markings on the head for me?

By the way rumors that DJ engines will not run properly unless you paint your jeep pink are entirely untrue. �;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:02:13 AM by F_Bill »
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Stack_O_Lee

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 23
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Which to use?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »
Okay, here are some serial numbers for you while I look at the other stuff.
I just can't thank you enough for helping me with this.
I'll have to see if walmart carries pink spray paint.............................hahahahahahaha  otherwise I'm thinking their orange will do just fine.

The head. �It looks like something was filed off?



The block.



Offline Stack_O_Lee

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 23
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Which to use?
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »
maybe I should do the opposite paint scheme as Athawk11? �(pink engine (in recognition of the dj), and orange body?) � :) �Where to find high temperature pink?????????? ;D  

Seems like it would be so hard to keep clean?

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Which to use?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »
LOL... ;D ;D ;D ;D �That pink Willys is not mine. �I borrowed that photo.

This is mine...

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Stack_O_Lee

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 23
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Which to use?
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11:04 AM »
Well, I'm jealous of both of those Jeeps!!!!!! �Yours is a bit more manly, but to each his own...............

Speaking of,

It's a done deal. �I'm totally going to return the black, and buy this. �http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP756-Engine-Enamel-Pink/dp/B000CPAVJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361191622&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+engine+paint

Thanks for the idea, it seemed so original (until I googled pink engine). �Aren't all of "our" engines pink? �hahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh, and there is no way the carbs could be mixed and matched with the manifolds. �They are different sizes completely.  I'll start paying more attention.............
Here is the WO

Here is the YF

Here is the WO

Here is the YF


So, I think I'm going to go with the YF.  It's newer, and seeing as how it's on the much better of the two manifolds, and it's what was originally on the engine, it's the winner.  The bracket for the linkage doesn't interchange between the two, but figuring something out for that part of it shouldn't be too hard.

As for rebuilding it, I'm going to do it myself, or at least try.  There are some good videos on youtube, and some good instructions online.

Thanks again for the help (especially the pictures).

Oh, and anything interesting about the head, or engine I would love to know about!!!!!