The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Hood  (Read 8350 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Hood
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 09:20:26 PM »
Quote
Hi I'm Rommel Juan from MDJuan.

Here is an MDJuan repro hood installed on an original CJ2a tub.



 i can give you more info if you like. Just let me know what you need :)

Cheers
Rommel
Rommel it might be good to show how th eoriginal hood fits, too.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Hood
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 12:10:09 AM »
Quote
Hi I'm Rommel Juan from MDJuan.
Here is an MDJuan repro hood installed on an original CJ2a tub.



 i can give you more info if you like. Just let me know what you need :)
Cheers
Rommel
Hello Rommel,
  My post on this thread above states that when I took a straight edge and put it along the upper part of the radius above the embossed WILLYS there was a indentation beginning at the radius and going towards the center of the hood exactly the same on both sides(as though someone had sat on it).  It started at zero at the front to 1/4 inch indentation in the middle and ending up at zero at the back.  So, I had to fill the entire area, several inches long and about 4 inches wide with it being 1/4 inch deep in the middle.  I didn't see it until I sprayed primer before painting.  While the primer was wet, still glossy, it was very evident.

Even in the picture you have supplied here of the new hood on the 2A, it looks to me that if the paint were glossy there would be a visible indentation.  It's hard to tell in the photo.  Would you please place a straight edge on that hood in this photo and take a few more pics from different angles so I can see that there really is no indentation?  

I wish I had pics of the filling process.  But that was a part of my Jeep restoration I was not proud of sod I took no pics.

Thanks for coming on the CJ-3A page and addressing our concerns.
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline duffer

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 54
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Just old
    • View Profile
Re: Hood
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »


The cowl radius fit was exactly the same problem I had with a 3B repo hood which I believe was MD Juan. �It is still sitting in the shed, in its shipping box, almost 40 years later. �That was the first and last reproduction steel Willys body parts I have bought. �I ended up just building my own hood from aluminum-something you can sit on without bending it.
48 2A, 49 3A, 51 Wagon, 55 3B, 57 FC 150, 57 Wagon, 60 FC 170, 68 CJ 5, 2012 JKUR

John, Bozeman, MT

Offline Jesse

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Hood
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 05:18:52 PM »
I think the classic enterprises stuff is pretty dang good myself, but why not just buy an original?


http://cj3apage.com/forum-yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1358400095

Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hood
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 08:29:59 PM »
Jesse,

You may be in an area where original Willys hoods are found on every corner. ;)  In Colorado, good original Willys sheet metal is like the elusive hens tooth.  Very rare.  And if in great condition, very very expensive.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Rommel_Juan

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Hood
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 03:16:24 AM »
Quote
Hello Rommel,
 ï¿½My post on this thread above states that when I took a straight edge and put it along the upper part of the radius above the embossed WILLYS there was a indentation beginning at the radius and going towards the center of the hood exactly the same on both sides(as though someone had sat on it). �It started at zero at the front to 1/4 inch indentation in the middle and ending up at zero at the back. �So, I had to fill the entire area, several inches long and about 4 inches wide with it being 1/4 inch deep in the middle. �I didn't see it until I sprayed primer before painting. �While the primer was wet, still glossy, it was very evident.

Even in the picture you have supplied here of the new hood on the 2A, it looks to me that if the paint were glossy there would be a visible indentation. �It's hard to tell in the photo. �Would you please place a straight edge on that hood in this photo and take a few more pics from different angles so I can see that there really is no indentation? �

I wish I had pics of the filling process. �But that was a part of my Jeep restoration I was not proud of sod I took no pics.

Thanks for coming on the CJ-3A page and addressing our concerns.

here is a picture of our hood. We have solved that problem by fixing our bending die in 2008.





there are no more indents.

rommel


Offline Rommel_Juan

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Hood
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 09:17:54 AM »
Quote
Quote
Hi I'm Rommel Juan from MDJuan.

Here is an MDJuan repro hood installed on an original CJ2a tub.



 i can give you more info if you like. Just let me know what you need :)

Cheers
Rommel
Rommel it might be good to show how th eoriginal hood fits, too.

here you go:






Offline Jesse

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Hood
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »
Just a joke, I'm the one selling an original. (And MN jeeps are always wasted so it is a good find)

-Jesse
Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Hood
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 06:39:44 PM »
Quote
Quote
Quote
Hi I'm Rommel Juan from MDJuan.

Here is an MDJuan repro hood installed on an original CJ2a tub.



 i can give you more info if you like. Just let me know what you need :)

Cheers
Rommel
Rommel it might be good to show how th eoriginal hood fits, too.

here you go:
Quote
Rommell,
  Thanks for the response with pics that show that indents are gone.  I purchased my tub, fenders, and hood in 2007.  I should have waited a bit.  Thanks for your ongoing efforts to make a better reproduction part.  Again, thanks for joining our Willys Jeep forums.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:40:26 PM by calvinhunt »
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah