The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick.....  (Read 3346 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick.....
« on: January 06, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
I have a persistent "ticking" sound in my motor. It's a constant "tick-tick-tick-tick..." roughly 4x per second at idle and faster at higher RPM's. I used the "dowel-to-the-ear" trick and thought I had pinpointed the sound to the #3 cylinder. I adjusted the valves to 0.016" in hopes of fixing it but it made no difference. I have since repeatedly watched some other L-134 youtube videos and I am hearing the same ticking sound. I'm wondering if it could be something mundane like the water or fuel pump action or fuel spitting into the carb. I have included a youtube link to my running motor. I realize the sound quality is marginal but if anyone can help me pinpoint the sound and whether or not it's normal that would be great.

http://youtu.be/jmuKHgWyrQ4
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline gmcjr

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Even a blind hog finds a acorn every now and then.
    • View Profile
Re: Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick..
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:25:31 PM »
Mine sounds the same, its one of the characteristics of a mechanical valve train, they are very seldom quite.
Gary in N. Texas
51 CJ-3A (old Trusty)
52 Ford 8n (ugly duckling)
46Farmall B (old Rusty)
18 Wrangler Jk

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick..
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »
Yes, mine ticks the same. I thought the lifters were out of adjustment, but it was still there. Don't worry about it. My '49 doesn't though. I think that one is just "well worn" and is quieter. Or maybe it it the rusted out muffler.  ;D

Here's mine with the SS head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7810K6W3QY
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:41:59 PM by garage_gnome »
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick..
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:55:48 PM »
Yes, the solid lifters are noisy, especially if the valve stem had worn into the bolt on the lifter. When that happens and you set the clearance with a feeler gauge you still have the pocket in the bolt that adds to the clearance and that will cause the clicking. Just grinding the valves and seats still leaves the pockets in the lifter bolt. You can try to stone the  top of the lifter bolt while the valves are out of the engine but that takes a lot of time and patience.  

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick..
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »
Quote
Yes, mine ticks the same. I thought the lifters were out of adjustment, but it was still there. Don't worry about it. My '49 doesn't though. I think that one is just "well worn" and is quieter. Or maybe it it the rusted out muffler. �;D

Here's mine with the SS head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7810K6W3QY

Geez Nate, yours is even louder than mine LOL. Thanks to the video (and the responses from others) I'll stop obsessing over it now.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick..
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26:47 AM »
When I listened to both of your ticking sounds I felt that they sound just about exactly like my engine does.  I adjusted the valves at around 500 miles after overhaul.  I'm at just over 4,000 miles now.  I've never noticed a change in the ticking sound.  It's been there since the overhaul and I've just accepted it as normal.  

When Carl came for a visit with his Jeep last fall, and I first started up my Jeep, he said, "Your valves are a little noisy."  So I asked, "Should I worry about it?"  He said, "No, not a bit." Then a few minutes later he started up his Jeep.  If there was a ticking sound you had to almost imagine it.  Then I realized that somehow even a L-134 CAN idle with little or no ticking sound, and compared to his engine, which he was used to, mine was a bit noisy.  Just for what it's worth.  

Now, even after what Carl explained in his post above, I think we can put him on the spot to give us extensive step-by-step training till we can eliminate the ticking.    
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline Jesse

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick..
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:57:41 AM »
Sounds just like a sewing machine, good to go in my opinion. Get a glasspack the kids love it.

-Jesse
Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick..
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:01:24 PM »
Mine ticks also.  Just about to do the 500 mile readjust, drain, refill, everything routine.  Hope it quiets a little.
JamesR
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick..
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 06:15:16 AM »
Sounds great to me Ryan, but I would ask a group opinion. Would the type of oil or viscosity quiet the engine a bit?
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC