The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Clutch question  (Read 2155 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Pats4WD

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 17
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Clutch question
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:52:20 PM »
I have the clutch out and was wondering if it needs replaced.  There is between 1/16 and 1/8 inch of pad left above the rivets.  I don't know how much a new clutch has.
Proud owner of Grandads 51 CJ3A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:07:02 PM »
Hi Pat.

I was in your same position.

I don't remember what my new clutch had on it when I put it in, but I just looked at the old one. �There is about 1/16" to the top of the rivets.

When in doubt, replace the disc. �Unless you have an M38 with the removable floor, this is not an easy area to get to once the Willys is road worthy. �You would have to pull the engine, or the tranny and transfer.

I'm not trying to spend your money for you, but it's right there in your hands right now....start fresh with this part.

Tim
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:09:00 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline p3ferris

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 249
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch question
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:25:02 PM »
X2 �but keep the old one for future just in case.


I forgot to mention this is what I did  for the time and price it was well worth it to me
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:33:22 AM by p3ferris »

Offline Pats4WD

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 17
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch question
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 10:31:36 PM »
Thanks, I will probably change it. i would hate to have to tear it back apart later.
Proud owner of Grandads 51 CJ3A

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch question
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:56:59 PM »
You could probably re-use the clutch disc but the thing to look for is, are the center springs tight. If they are loose and rattle then by all means replace the clutch disc and throw the old one away.