The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Hesse Hornet and General Supply Air compressors  (Read 3917 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KeithG

  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Hesse Hornet and General Supply Air compressors
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:11:07 AM »
Hello, I am a newbie trying to find any info I can on the Hesse Hornet and General Supply air compressors. I recently purchased what I thought was a Hesse Hornet for the engine.

Upon getting it home, I learned that it was not a HH but had a head marked General Supply Co. I cleaned the points and cleaned the carb and it fired right up. I just dont have the heart to cannibalize it just for the engine.

I have found a new interest in these almost extinct critters. If anyone has any info please let me know, especially on the General Supply units. I have detail pics and video of my unit's first crank up if anyone is interested. I am having trouble posting pics here. �Thanks, Keith.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:15:13 AM by KeithG »

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Hesse Hornet and General Supply Air compressor
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 10:45:08 PM »
Okay...I'll bite.  Keith, what is a Hesse Hornet compressor?  Was this an add-on for a Willys back in the day for field work or some such thing?  Sorry to put my ignorance on full display here, but I've not heard of such a compressor and don't know of its relationship to a Willys 3A.  Would love to see what your are asking about if you can figure out the photo posting.  We do have a fellow here (Garage Gnome) who is really knowledgeable about old quirky engines and may have an answer to your questions, but I don't know for sure.  Good luck!
Tom


Offline KeithG

  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Hesse Hornet and General Supply Air compressor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:03:19 AM »
Sorry, I thought "everybody" knew what a Hesse Hornet air compressor is! �:-[ It is a self contained unit that had an industrial engine out of a CJ3A. It is mounted in a frame and was made to tap on to the gas tank of the vehicle it was mounted to. The one I just bought is mounted on an old uhaul trailer.

I bought it to take the engine out of and put in my DJ3A but I got it to running near perfect with just filing the points and cleaning the carb. Here is a link to my picasa photo album with pics and a short video when I first cranked it up after sitting for a few years.

If anyone can help post some pics or tell me how, That would be helpful.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114870501449086698887/AirCompressor?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOeF34mX0L_1oAE&feat=directlink

I have been lurking a little bit and have seen some of Garage Gnome's videos of the old hit and miss engines. I love those old engines! �Just been too busy to introduce myself to him. We have a County Fair here in Chattanooga,TN and they usually have a few hit and miss engines. Keith.




Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hesse Hornet and General Supply Air compressor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:56:27 PM »
Hey Keith,
I wasn't able to get your live link to work. �It said the page was missing. �

For Tom, and anyone else that has some interest, here is a link from the 3A page.

http://www.cj-3a.com/hesse_hornet_air_compressor.htm

I can see why Keith has questions. �It's really a pretty cool set up, but there is almost nothing availble, information wise, on these little engines.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline KeithG

  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Hesse Hornet and General Supply Air compressor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 01:37:57 AM »
Quote
Hey Keith,
I wasn't able to get your live link to work. �It said the page was missing. �

For Tom, and anyone else that has some interest, here is a link from the 3A page.

http://www.cj-3a.com/hesse_hornet_air_compressor.htm

I can see why Keith has questions. �It's really a pretty cool set up, but there is almost nothing availble, information wise, on these little engines.

Tim

Tim, Here is another link on the G503.com website to more pics and at the bottom is my unit and a link to my pics and a quick video. I am going to get some better video for anyone who wants to see more action. From what I have read the engine blocks are MB's. The tag shows it is an industrial engine. The serial number I was told was postwar 48-53. �Thanks Tim for helping me out. Keith G

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=199375