The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Spare tire vibration spacer  (Read 2008 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Spare tire vibration spacer
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »
Okay, I'm on the home stretch getting my tub ready to paint and I almost forgot to drill the holes for my spare tire spacer.  I found the measurements for it off the the 2A site, but when I laid it out it seemed a little close to the carrier.


Top view


Two questions:
1.  Is the spacer supposed to hit the wheel or the tire?
2.  Does the spacer actually make contact with the wheel/tire all the time or should there be a small gap between the spacer and the wheel/tire?

I am using 7x15 tires.
Thanks!

Offline rocketeer

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Support Our Troops.
    • View Profile
Re: Spare tire vibration spacer
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:26:44 PM »
A. It contacts the tire
B. No gap
C. Different spacer for different size tires

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Tech/VibrationDampener.html





Larry


Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Spare tire vibration spacer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:55:54 PM »
I found out the hard way why these are needed. My spare tire carrier cracked on the '53 and now I need to fix it and add the vibration dampener. My '49 still has the original one.  ;)
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: Spare tire vibration spacer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:46:09 AM »
Thanks Larry, those are the drawings and photos I had.  I had roughed out a spacer, and laid it out on the tub accourding to the drawings, but it wasn't hitting the tire and wasn't thick enough.  Looks like I need to move it up the fenderwell a little bit and make the spacer about 1/8" thicker.  I'm using a reproduction spare tire carrier on a reproduction tub so it may stick out a little more than the factory one and be in a slightly different location.

I'm assuming it should hit in the "fat" part of the tire?