The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Springs  (Read 1756 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TomJ

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 72
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • '51 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Springs
« on: April 27, 2012, 02:10:28 PM »
Hi all;

Got a CJ-3A all stripped down and am wondering, what do you guys think about the old springs, do I clean em up and re-use, or is it better to buy new?  Finished a 3A last winter and used the springs that came with it (it was a project somebody got tired of so I got a pile of parts) and they seem to make it sit a little higher than normal, which I actually kinda like, but was trying to make this one a little closer to stock. I noticed that Kaiser-Willys has an 8 leaf and a 10 leaf spring so I guess that could have something to do with how it would end up sitting, just wondered what other experiences might be and what advice you all might have.

Tom

PS will try and get some pictures of the first build on here soon...you guys were a tremendous help with that one.

Offline Macgraham

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 187
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Springs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:01:16 PM »
I got the 8 leaf springs from KW and think they will ride too rough although I am not to the driving stage yet. Little clues like the shocks bring at the end of their travel with the running gear installed. I can jump on the back bumoer and I am over 200 lbs and it doesn't give any. Haven't figured out what I'm going to do to fix the problem as I am really pushing on getting it running. Maybe use my old springs with a couple of new leafs or some variation. Good luck

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Springs
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »
Mac, just take one bottom leaf out of each spring and see if that works. If not then remove another leaf. It's not rocket science, it's just a spring. If it doesn't support the assembled Jeep then put one back.

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Springs
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 03:11:42 AM »
I think between your idea of mix and match between old and new and Carl's idea of removing a leaf or two you will get the ride you're looking for.  Takes a little trial and error but with all clean parts and hardware it should not be too difficult.  My restored Jeep with original springs sits level and rides good.  I did nothing but clean them up and reinstall them.  I would be pleased to have them just a little stiffer.  Maybe I should try the gas shocks your talking about.  I just have the standard ones from NAPA.
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline Macgraham

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 187
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Springs
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »
Thanks Carl and Calvin. My old springs had a pretty serious lean to the left but they were a lot softer than these new ones. Shouldn't be too hard to experiment some. If you are not in a hurry Calvin don't buy new gas shocks. You maybe can try these I've got to see if they do what you want. Thanks again

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Springs
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 01:14:02 AM »
Thanks.  Maybe we can make that happen.
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah