The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: springs etc.  (Read 1738 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Macgraham

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 187
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
springs etc.
« on: April 24, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »
I got a new set of springs and hardware from KW and after installing the drive train the springs show no give at all. Unless the tub makes it give a lot, looks like this could ride like a freight wagon which would not win any points from my wife. The ends of the springs opposite the shackles have new bushings and pins.  Do I just tighten these castle nuts to meet up with the cotter pin holes? I can't see tightening this up against the spring or it would restrict the slight rotation of the spring eye. I'm trying to get all this figured out before I put the tub on. Thanks

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: springs etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 05:43:18 PM »
Hey Mac, I put new springs on mine and when I got done I didn't have to lift the jeep to get it off the jack stands, lifted her right up it did!!!   8-).  Mine are very stiff, and I've thought about pulling some to soften it up.  Not there yet.  I wouldn't expect the body to soften it much, thats only a couple hundred pounds, plus an ample driver and you might get some softeneing, but not much.
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Macgraham

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 187
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: springs etc.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:17:15 PM »
I still have my old springs and my Jeep came with one of those bolt on roll bars and with the old springs I could grab the roll bar and rock the Jeerp all over. It seemed really soft but it had the standard Port list and quite severe. I was mainly trying to get it to sit more level. Maybe I have to find someone to re arc my old springs or combine some of both by trial and error. Could be a long hot summer. After I replace one defective brake flex hose I am ready to set the tub on. Progress is good.

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: springs etc.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:04:08 AM »
I used the same springs from KW and you are correct, they are quite stiff.  I don't know that they are "too" stiff, but rather my old spring were just wore plum out.  I completely assembled my jeep and did not notice any major difference in the springs softening up.  I have since started taking my jeep back apart for paint.  For now, I'm leaving the new springs on and going to let them settle naturally.

Maybe I'll just encourage more "plump" people to ride with me to dampen the ride  ;)

Offline Macgraham

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 187
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: springs etc.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »
One thing that concerns me are the gas shocks they sent in the spring kit. I'm guessing it takes about 40 0r 50 lbs to depress these shocks even before they start doing their intended job. Original Jeeps never had such things and this is like having about 200 lbs stiffer springs. Does anyone know where I could get regular old hydralic shocks without the gas? Whenever I talk with KW about a problem with their parts all I get is attitude. I agree with them that their parts fit( but they don't necessarily do the proper job).

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: springs etc.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »
Hi Mac,  Napa and others sell regular shocks to fit these beasts.  Napa's are Monroe, Autozone's are Gabriels, and as far as I know they all seem to be blue.  My 3A rides good with the new Napa shocks and I have what I think is a pretty stiff spring set-up which I haven't seen on others.  I have 11 leaves on the front and 10 leaves on the back.  Good luck.
Tom


Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: springs etc.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »
I bought a set of spring whatcha ma callits, they are a short set of leafs that are very heavy, about 16 inches long and they go under the bottom leaf, they recurve the pack and stiffen it.  Worked pretty well, took out the willys lean and stiffened thre rear pack right up.  I put the new ones on the front.   I got these from  4 wheel parts, they were not spendy.
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...