The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: we got it running  (Read 1339 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
we got it running
« on: April 14, 2012, 09:59:07 PM »
After several stress filled days the cj3a finially ran. I had to set the timmingby ear to finally get it to runn smotthly enough to drive but we went for about a 1 mile ride tonight. Our thoughts and questions. First my wifes thoughts (Holly S___T I'm going to fall out of this thing). Her question is what do poeple on her side hold on to? I didn't really care much as I won't be on that side much. Now my thoughs ( this is awsome but what are all those noises. Did I do something wrong? Is it about to explode? How hard will this be to push home? ) My questions: Do you hear every noise on these things and are the suppose to sound like they are running with no lubrication what so ever. Yes I put all the oils and grease in the differentals and trany/transfercase. I greased all the parts as I repleased them. I still have some play in the steering but no sway while driving. I'm sure I'll get the bugs worked out over time. Wish I had some members near by to check out this and give some advice.

here are some pictures on my face book page. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.409792569032446.103451.100000051192394&type=1

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: we got it running
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »
You have found out why those Chrome dash grab bars are so popular.......
Might want to look into the WWII style door straps to give a little (false) security to your passenger.
Ever listen to MASH when the jeeps pull up? That is sorta what they sound like in person. Noisier in lower gears and 4WD than in 2WD and high gear.

Congrats on getting it going!
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: we got it running
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 12:39:13 AM »
My wife always had a look of panic on her face when I was driving on steep hill sides or crossing creeks and she held on to the seat frame with both hands. I finally put seat belts in after I rode with a friend and experienced the same fear. Look at her eyes, if looks could kill I would be dead and she has both hands on the seat frame sitting still. She was afraid she would float away.


Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: we got it running
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Congrats on getting it started.

On the noises:  I have similar concerns as you do.  If my daily driver had some of these noises, I would think something is wrong.  I have driven it about 300 miles since the re-furb.  I am getting more comfortable with the strange noises, but I am looking forward to the May Super Cruise gathering in Golden.  I will get to hear a few other Jeeps and their noises.  

I did change my oil after the first 100 miles.  I was running 5w-30.  I switched to 20w-50 high mileage + a ZDDP additive.  The engine sounds better with the heavier oil, but I think I'm giving up some gas mileage. My front pulley wobbles a little.  (New from Walcks)  It causes a little engine shimmy. My transmission wines a little in high gear, but not so bad that it's annoying. Add some rattles in the passenger seat frame while driving by myself, and I'm pretty sure I won't be sneaking up on anyone.  

On you wife's concerns, my wife has gotten more comfortable with the lack of constraints.  When I am in the passenger seat, I spend half my time looking for something to grab.

Tim  
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A