The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Cam pulley replacement  (Read 1995 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline turkehunt

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 45
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Cam pulley replacement
« on: April 01, 2012, 09:12:31 AM »
The cam pulley on my CJ 3A wobbles  :-?probably from improper removal and installation in the past sometime  ::) What is the proper way to remove the nut and the pulley ???? Im thinking an air impact driver and a 3 jawed puller ?????????? Then replace the bent pulley and the bent up nut with new ones from Walck's    Thanks in advance for your replys

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Cam pulley replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »
Well, there's no cam pulley on an L134 engine so I will assume you mean the crankshaft pulley. Yes, you can use an impact wrench to remove the bolt and then pull the pulley with a puller but it may bend it. Since you are replacing the pulley bending it won't matter. When you put the new pulley on I suggest you torque the crank bolt rather than using an impact wrench to tighten it. You will have to put it in gear and set the parking brake to torque the crank bolt.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:23:31 AM by Carlsjeep »

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Cam pulley replacement
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
Turke,
I replaced my old crankshaft pulley also. The old one made the whole engine wobble.  Carl's instructions a dead on.  
I will add that I got my replacement pulley from Walcks.  It was a little disappointing to me that the new pulley still has a slight wobble.  

I think it's Pete Debella that does a pulley that is machined from a solid chunk of steel vs the stamped style. It's 6 times the $$$$, but I am now considering it.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but admiration for Walcks, but I think his pulley is the same pulley everyone has access to.  Probably Omix Ada.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Cam pulley replacement
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:36:13 AM »
Hey Turke,
Let me know if you need a pully, I've got one I'd like to sell, its in good shape and its an original.
Todd
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...