The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: starter  (Read 7044 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
starter
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »
Does any one have any pictures or data on how the early foot+pust button starters are wired. There is a hole on the side of the lever support on the starter. What is that for.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:54:16 PM by CJJay »

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
Are you talking about the push button or mechanical linkage? For the push button, there is a battery lead wire that connects to one terminal and then another short wire that goes from the other terminal to the starter.

For the mechanical linkage, there is only one line going from the battery to the starter.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:05:45 PM by garage_gnome »
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline rocketeer

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Support Our Troops.
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »
This isn't a very good picture (not my jeep) but it should be good enough to answer the question. The only thing that connects to the lever is the pushrod. The battery hot lead connects to the switch and there is a smaller wire from there to the ammeter. The third wire coming towards you in the pic is something added by someone and is not original to a CJ3A.



Larry

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »
Thanks for the picture, I took the mechanical connection off my starter and cleaned it up so I fully understand how that works. There is an insulated hole on the engine side of this selenoid and the only way I can figure that the push button on the left side of the steering wheel would work is if a 12 gage wire was run from the contact on the starter not the outside of the selenoid to the push button. I read some one elses information and they said that if you don't use the foot lever the starter will burn up from trying to push the bendix to the ring gear. I have Westermans book and he has a picture of the 3A dash and it shows the push button so I assume it should be on it and work.

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »
Quote
I have Westermans book and he has a picture of the 3A dash and it shows the push button so I assume it should be on it and work.

What page is the photo on so we can all take a look?

Thanks,
Bob W

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »
the book is at work so I'll let you know tomorrow. will electricity push the bendex out with out the assistance of the lever.

Offline rocketeer

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Support Our Troops.
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:33:50 AM »
Quote
the book is at work so I'll let you know tomorrow. will electricity push the bendex out with out the assistance of the lever.
Not if it's factory original. The lever engages the bendix and then it pushes the plunger on the switch which activates the starter electrically. Anything different than that is a modification in which case we need to see pictures of exactly what you've got.

Larry

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »
Quote
Quote
the book is at work so I'll let you know tomorrow. will electricity push the bendex out with out the assistance of the lever.
Not if it's factory original. The lever engages the bendix and then it pushes the plunger on the switch which activates the starter electrically. Anything different than that is a modification in which case we need to see pictures of exactly what you've got.

Larry

The idiot I got my '49 from thought the starter was screwed up. He pushed just the button by hand to show me. Uh huh sure. He didn't know much about old jeeps. Yes the lever is important.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »
I thought I had sent in a reply this afternoon but it's not here so here is the info. The picture of the 3A dash is on page 29 in westermans book. It clearly shows a push button on the left side of the steering wheeWhen I got home I looked at the other starter I have and it has not got foot pedal switch on it and is the type that the bendix come out when it turns on. it has a 10 tooth bendix not a nine. then I put the foot style starter on and th pedal linkage doesn't remotely hook up At he present time I think i'll just finish the engine and wory about he starter later.

Offline rocketeer

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Support Our Troops.
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:22:17 PM »
Keep in mind that whichever starter you settle on, the flywheel ring gears are different and need to match.

If you hang in there I'm sure Bob W(esterman) will be chiming in soon about the pic in his book.

Larry

Offline hawkjeep

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 20
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • jeep is fun Santa Ana CA
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 11:26:33 PM »
I got the same starter  on my 1950
1950 Cj3a 3j45548 l134 t90 t18
1948 cj2a 155822 v6 t14 t18

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 06:20:24 AM »
Quote
The picture of the 3A dash is on page 29 in westermans book. It clearly shows a push button on the left side of the steering wheel

I'm not seeing any push buttons? To the left of the steering wheel is Item 34, the head light switch.
Bob W

Offline rocketeer

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Support Our Troops.
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:48:14 AM »
From Bob's website:



Larry

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »
Since these Jeeps have been built a lot of Bubba's have been real busy making changes a reasonable person could never imagine.

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: starter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »
you may be right but my head light switch is black like the throttle and choke and the button is silver and looks like the one in the pictureit's also in he same relitive place, but so is the light switch. I also have a second switch that looks like the light but is just a singe position off/on. I think it is for the dash light.  I'll figure it out. I'm going to call Walcks tomorrw for some insight.