The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: My 1953 3A restoration  (Read 18284 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »
We took care of it. No bearings spun. It had good oil pressure (40) when it was running. At least it shut off right away when the pump locked up. There is no excuse why a modern pump would do that. I rebuild the original one and its been fine since.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Comanche_County

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 252
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Quote
At this point in the restoration, we had the rolling chassis complete. I was getting pretty excited when I could actually drive it around!



and the running chassis.



We are looking at one of God's greatest creations, that frame is a thing of beauty...I have "straight frame jealousy" right now.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:36:54 PM by Comanche_County »
Georgia President of the International Flat Fender Club

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »
What is the engine serial number?

Thanks!
Bob W

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »
Gunslingers reply with some great info has been moved to [link=http://cj-3a.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1331229615]This Thread[/link]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:10:53 PM by F_Bill »
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
Quote
What is the engine serial number?

Thanks!

Its 3J14208. I think there is another number after the 8 (the last few digits are hard to read). It is stamped really light compared to my '49 3A.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 06:19:31 PM »
Quote

We are looking at one of God's greatest creations, that frame is a thing of beauty...I have "straight frame jealousy" right now.

Haha, thanks. It is pretty pitted in the back though. I'm glad it wasn't hacked up or anything.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »
Quote
Its 3J14208. I think there is another number after the 8 (the last few digits are hard to read). It is stamped really light compared to my '49 3A.


Thanks again �:)
Bob W

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »
Bob, does the number I gave you match up with any 53s? I mean, do any others have the same amount of digits? I was looking through the database here, and that number would fit in with up to 51. I'm pretty sure the engine is original to the jeep
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 09:42:35 PM »
Judging by the characteristics of block there must be another digit, as you mentioned. 3J14208x is a bit higher than what I would expect to see in a 1953 CJ-3A although anything is possible. What is the casting number on the passenger side of the block and the numbers and letter on the drivers side near the rear?
Bob W

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »
The casting number is: 641087-W-13-D-P5 CU CR

on the drivers side it has:

13T

10 15 D
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 07:06:40 PM »
Hey,  GG,

Looking forward to the next installment....bring it!!

Your work really looks terrific.  How old are you again?

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 07:26:19 PM »
Hey Gnome, do you have any shots of the brake set up, I've got some 10 inch hardware and I'm trying to figure out how the heck to hook it all up.
thanks, nice build bTw.
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 08:11:38 PM »
Nate,

I'd say your engine is original. The serial number is a bit higher than the normal skew (this stuff happens all the time with Willys) but the casting numbers are a good fit. There should be another digit at the end of the serial number.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:13:13 PM by Bob_W »
Bob W

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »
Thanks Bob! I thought it was original, but I wasn't 100% sure because it had looked like someone replaced the engine. All the bolts for the bell housing were not originals.

Tim, I turned 19 In January. I started restoring this when I was 14 during the summer between 8h grade and 9th. I finished it when I was a�Junior when I just got my license.

Sorry gunslinger, I don't have any shots of the 10" guts. I can take one tomorrow for you. Do yours have a self adjusting mechanism?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:14:49 PM by garage_gnome »
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: My 1953 3A restoration
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
Since the chassis was done, it was time for body work, oh joy. �::)

Since my tub was so bad and wasn't worth the time in repairing it, I bought a reproduction body kit, which was still no better (you will see later on why). I didn't use the windshield frame because it was really crappy compared to my original, which was in real nice shape.



We started by building the jeep, so all the holes and fitment would be there after paint and it would hopefully go together smoothly.



I probably drove it around for a month like this! This pic made it into the 2010 Early CJ5 calendar. At one point, we had everything on it like lights. My advice would be if you do buy a repro tub, build the entire jeep first then paint.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:34:04 PM by garage_gnome »
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted