The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: '52 M38  (Read 3590 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
'52 M38
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:06:57 PM »
Not sure if this is appropriate for "Tech Talk" section but not sure where else to ask it here.

Going to check this out tomorrow. Supposedly a '52 M38 with orig drivetrain, excellent frame, and original body with some patching. Any input on specific things to check aside from what would normally be found on a 3A? What about value?

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/2908839232.html

Thanks,
Ryan
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: '52 M38
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:25:35 PM »
Original M38's had a waterproof 24 V electrical system that is not cheap to fix....Chances are it has been upgraded to 12V and CJ parts. In his ad pictures I see the tool indent area was patched with flat steel, and the bumper seems to have been replaced with channel steel. I would look very closely at the floors and usual rust areas, for signs of more less than optimal work.

It may be the camera angle but for some reason it almost looks like a wider front axle has been installed.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: '52 M38
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »
Thing looks pretty good in the pictures. �Some things I can see in the photos that might reduce it's value if you intend on bringing it back to M38 Glory. � Bumper, wheels, tires, running lights. �Looks like a Willys stamped hood, and the lower ax indent may have been patched. �All of these can be fixed if you want to, although, hoods, wheels and tires aren't cheap.

Here is a side by side comparison of the 3A and M38.

http://www.cj3a.info/cj3a/m38cj3a.html

I think the most important things are the difficult or pricey stuff. �ie: everything under the hood, the drive train and sheet metal condition. �

$3,200.00 should get you a good runner. �In other words, if you don't want to do anything to it, you wouldn't have to. �

Is it still 24v or converted to 12v? �Is it still waterproof? Are the data plates still on it? Tail gate...reinforcements for gas can and tire mount? � Front frame horn should be boxed in if frame is original. �Should have a glove box and removable gauge cluster panel if the tub is original. �Also, parking brake is on the opposite side of the steering wheel.

Write down everything you can find with a number on it including the engine serial #s, and casting if possible. � Then go to the 503 or WillysMJeeps and do some quick research on what you find. �Or research engine #s tonight, bring this info with you and see if you have something special.

I'm beginning to ramble. �I just get excited when a Willys is about to be resqued.

Tim � �
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: '52 M38
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:08:44 PM »
Quote
Thing looks pretty good in the pictures. �Some things I can see in the photos that might reduce it's value if you intend on bringing it back to M38 Glory. � Bumper, wheels, tires, running lights. �Looks like a Willys stamped hood, and the lower ax indent may have been patched. �All of these can be fixed if you want to, although, hoods, wheels and tires aren't cheap.

Here is a side by side comparison of the 3A and M38.

http://www.cj3a.info/cj3a/m38cj3a.html

I think the most important things are the difficult or pricey stuff. �ie: everything under the hood, the drive train and sheet metal condition. �

$3,200.00 should get you a good runner. �In other words, if you don't want to do anything to it, you wouldn't have to. �

Is it still 24v or converted to 12v? �Is it still waterproof? Are the data plates still on it? Tail gate...reinforcements for gas can and tire mount? � Front frame horn should be boxed in if frame is original. �Should have a glove box and removable gauge cluster panel if the tub is original. �Also, parking brake is on the opposite side of the steering wheel.

Write down everything you can find with a number on it including the engine serial #s, and casting if possible. � Then go to the 503 or WillysMJeeps and do some quick research on what you find. �Or research engine #s tonight, bring this info with you and see if you have something special.

I'm beginning to ramble. �I just get excited when a Willys is about to be resqued.

Tim � �

Thank you Tim. This gives me a great list to go by. I've been going 3A crazy for only the past few months and so I have no idea what look for on anything else. I'll update again once I actually see it....
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: '52 M38
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:22:16 PM »
Ryan,

I'm looking forward to your follow up post. I really like M38s.  There aren't many of them out there.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: '52 M38
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 07:17:55 AM »
Note to my friend Ryan.... All of what Tim said plus check the tub this time. I know you have this "Willys Bug" bad, that diagnosis was confirmed last week when you took the transfer case apart because you thought you saw a drop of oil on the floor. Have you thought this new purchase through, example: wife to Ryan, now that the snow has melted there seems to be more jeep parts then I remember? My friend I'm here to help! You can store the new jeep in my garage... You will have time to think up an explaination, I promise that I will not touch it for the parts I need, and I can look my wife in the eye and say I'm just holding it for a friend dear. Buy it Ryan....
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: '52 M38
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:57:09 AM »
Quote
Note to my friend Ryan.... All of what Tim said plus check the tub this time. I know you have this "Willys Bug" bad, that diagnosis was confirmed last week when you took the transfer case apart because you thought you saw a drop of oil on the floor. Have you thought this new purchase through, example: wife to Ryan, now that the snow has melted there seems to be more jeep parts then I remember? My friend I'm here to help! You can store the new jeep in my garage... You will have time to think up an explaination, I promise that I will not touch it for the parts I need, and I can look my wife in the eye and say I'm just holding it for a friend dear. Buy it Ryan....

BMIC - I think in the substance abuse world you would be considered an "Enabler". The wife is out of the country for most of next month. If the price is right and I can coordinate delivery during the time she is gone, I may be able to just play it off like..."What new Jeep, honey?...that one has always been here, I guess you just never noticed....".

I've also made an investment in a comfortable couch... in case I end up living there for an extended period.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: '52 M38
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 09:22:02 AM »
The first thing that caught my attention is no black out lights. If this is a M38 I will guess it is highly modified. If it is still a 24v system you will be doing a lot of changing to a conventional 12v system. The good of that is you can sell the 24v stuff to a military buff.

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: '52 M38
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 06:23:27 PM »
Well no answer from the seller at the predetermined time to meet up. I guess I won't have to worry about sleeping on the couch quite yet.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi